Tuesday, May 03, 2005

We have a new winner!

Lasagna! (Thanks for the tip Vanessa!) Leif LOVED lasagna last night. We buy the premade lasagnas from Costco for those nights we don't feel like cooking. They are actually quite good, for frozen ready to heat meals. Leif thought he hit the motherload. He was shoveling it in, eating out of the spoon from me and feeding himself. He even declined (in his ever so polite way) applesauce in favor of lasagna. I was somewhat worried about the meat and cheese and cut him off earlier than he would have liked. It is evidently, good eats.

-------------

I checked my work benefits and was thrilled to see that my vacation accrual is now 2.31 hours a week, quick multiplication and sure enough, 3 weeks a year! I thought for sure I was going to have to call the benefits office and go through the whole "I was hired on April 29th, 2002, not July 31st, 2002" routine I have had to do a few times over at this point. I know, it is a few months, but it matters to me.

-------------

So I am taking a running class here at the lab. For $60 I was supposed to get 4 weeks (total of 8 personal training sessions) with a trainer. The goal is to take someone who doesn't run and have them running for 30 minutes by the end of the session. Also with some strength training and nutrition and wellness sprinkled in there and at the end of the session a 60 minute sports massage if you attended all the sessions.

I knew when I signed up, I was dummying down a little. But being that I have not run regularly for about a year now, I thought I could use the "ease in" and was hoping that the "motivation factor" would kick in. I wasn't thrilled about the strength training, wellness info, nutrition info and such - I am familiar with all that and to be honest, part of the reason I work out is so I can eat all those yummy things that aren't so good for me. So someone will have to die trying to take away my butter, whipping cream and wine.

I don't even know where to start. The trainer sucks. Last week she had us running for 30 seconds after walking for 5 minutes - or about there. She was extremely inconsistent. Well and what the hell does 30 seconds of running do for you? Not only that, but the trainer's idea of running slowly was vastly different then mine. I am a slow runner, I admit it and embrace it. But she was leaving me in the dust. And the two other participants are MUCH less versed in running (really nice women, but overweight and uncoordinated - and no, I am not at my ideal weight either) and were trying to keep up with her! Ridiculous! When she had us test our heart rates she was surprised when the two other girls were in the 160's and said, "oh next time you need to not work so hard".

So here we are this week. We go out and you would think we might increase the running from 30 seconds... nope. We walked the entire time. I would have gotten more out of going home with Leif and walking with Hans and Winny. To top it off, the trainer was talking about having run the Bloomsday race in Spokane and how much fun it was. I commented that I have heard it is similar to Bay to Breakers. She actually asked me "where's that?" San Fran. She said, "I haven't heard of it." Ummm, it's the largest footrace in the US, maybe the world!" I couldn't believe she hadn't heard of it and I am suddenly extremely skeptical of her qualifications.

------------

Hans will be finished with classes this week! One more semester down. Now if he can just get enrolled in the program he wants and get this new job squared away things will be good. I am looking forward to having a weekend with my little family.

No comments: