Monday, May 09, 2005

Mother's Day - Sunday

In talking with other people around, on discussion boards and in person, I really do have to rave about how truly lucky I am. I have a husband who not only remembered Mother's Day, but made a big deal about it. I love holidays, give me a reason to cook or eat a nice dinner, open up a decent bottle of wine and hang out with my family or friends and family and I am all over it. I try to resonate this through my immediate family. I want Leif to love growing up celebrating and looking forward to the next holiday. I want him to remember his girlfriend's birthday (when he is 32 and finally allowed to date). I want him to remember how much mommy loved it when she opened up a pink frilly hat suitable for a woman twice my age, when all that really counted was the thought.

I love sending cards and recognizing people's birthdays. I do flub up and miss some on occasion. I don't do this to pressure others (as I have been accused of), but because I want the person to know that I was thinking of them on their day. It is important to me to acknowledge holidays, birthdays, whatever day is important to someone who is close to me. Hans has picked up on this and is wonderful that way.

Even if Hans didn't remember on his own, I don't let him forget holidays that are important to me. I could sit and wonder for weeks if he was going to remember Mother's Day (making sure I didn't mention it myself) and then if he didn't remember, I could steam about it and complain, or play the martyr that it doesn't hurt to be forgotten about (when it really does). But why? I would rather give him the opportunity to really make me happy (which makes us both happy), instead of make him feel like crud for not remembering. So I do talk about Mother's Day ahead of time and NOT let him forget... not that he would, of course!

So I had a fabulous Mother's Day. Hans cooked breakfast, made an appointment at JCPenneys, which unfortunatly for him was a bust (not his fault). He bought me a necklace with a ruby pendant to match my ruby earrings he gave me for Christmas (Leif's birthstone). We hung out and had a great time on Sunday. Hans cooked flank steak burritos with all the fixings, yummy, my favorite. Then we played with Leif a lot. It was a super Mother's Day!

I hope it was a great day also for my mom, my MIL and our grandmothers. This year it was hard to remember that Mother's Day wasn't ONLY about me! I was a little late in getting cards and stuff out. I found a Boston Terrier planter for my grandmother. You would have to understand... my grandmother loves everything "Boston terrier". So when I see something like this, I *have* to buy it. No matter how hideous I think it might be, I KNOW that she will love it. Or at least I hope that she isn't sitting there thinking "when will everyone get off the Boston terrier kick??" My mom commented after going and helping her clean her kitchen a few weeks ago that "watch we are going to find out that the collection of Boston terriers is ultra-valuable and we are all going to be eating our words". He he... probably so.

Anyways, hope everyone had a super Mother's Day!

No comments: