Sunday, May 08, 2005

JCPenneys Portrait Studio - todays topper of April's shit list

Today is Mother's Day, my very first real Mother's Day. Hans got up with Leif and I slept until 8:34am, gasp! I was then sent hurtling out of bed knowing that Hans was fixing swedies (they tasted soo good last week, I needed them again this Sunday) and he had spilled (thankfully) that we had an appointment at 11am at the JCPenneys Portrait Studio for a family picture. Yay! My husband listens and picks up on my subtle cues - like sending him the e-mail ad with the phone number for reservations. I was happy he told me the day before so I could pick out precisely what we should wear so that it wasn't like our only other "family wall picture" where we are all in a variety of everyday clothes because we didn't plan on having a family picture taken.

I had it all planned out, however, I neglected to plan for "what if Leif doesn't take a nap and has no interest in having his picture taken". He wasn't cranky, he just would.not.smile. And if you know Leif, you know that this is highly unusual. Leif smiles when he is sick and feels like crap. Leif smiles for anyone. (They tried two photographers.)

Ok, this is not JCPenneys fault at all. They tried 4 poses, couldn't get it. We had one somewhat acceptable picture until we noticed Hans had his tongue stuck out... we were too busy looking at Leif. Ok, so no acceptable pictures. The nice girl said, "we aren't busy at all today, take him and come back at your convenience, we will be here till 5pm".

I knew this was the best course, yet I was still bummed. I had plans - (silly me, plans when I have a 9 month old...). I wanted to dress up, actually have make-up on my face (gasp, number 2), come home, get into my grungy clothes and go plant my vegetable garden that I bought plants and seeds for. It is already going in late.

So back at JCPenneys I ask her to show me the appointment book so I have some idea when their slow time will be. I am shown basically anytime after 1pm is wide open! (I am starting to understand why.) So out we head on our merry way, back home.

We put Leif down for a nap and I hang out reading, Hans watches TV because we don't want to change clothes or get dirty before we head BACK for attempt #2 at pictures. Leif gets up and we head out at about 1:45pm. He still isn't his giggley self, but we can get him to smile. We walk up to the portrait studio desk, a little sign there, "back at 3pm".

WHAT! I was panicked (yes, I do have a tendency to overreact). I headed back to the office where the two photographers are sitting on their fat asses with their feet propped up chowing on a plate of nachos.

"Hi, I am sorry to bug you, remember me?" Of course they do... "Ok well you guys told us to come back anytime this afternoon, and well my son is up and smiling, can you go ahead and do our sitting?" They look at me like I am stupid... I mean can't I see they are enjoying some gourmet cuisine?? "Umm no", the girl says, "come back at 3pm". Come back in over an hour?? You're kidding! Nope, they weren't kidding. Come back in an hour. They obviously have no children. Another parent would have said, "oh your child is smiling, let's get some pictures!" Instead we were supposed to either get in the car and go home and come back, or haul him around the mall for an hour. Yeah, that would have made him REALLY happy.

I was pissed. It is Mother's Day, my first, and they couldn't get off their fat asses to snap a few pictures after they told us that they could do it anytime in the afternoon. So we left, me - forcing back the tears. Ok yes, I was PMS'ing too. But damnit, I wanted my Mother's Day Family Portrait.

Poor Hans. He tried, he really did. We went home and snapped a few pictures with the digital in the front yard that probably turned out better than they would have taken at Penneys.

Next on the agenda, get together with Kent and Vanessa for family pictures since Winny's paws are just too big to properly work the camera.

No comments: