Thursday, June 02, 2005

It's Thursday

"Being serious is one thing, but admit it: You're something of a worrywart at the moment. Planning for every single eventuality is time-consuming and, frankly, unnecessary. Leave yourself one escape hatch and get on with it."

This is today's horrorscope. Dead on.

-----------

I had an awful dream last night. I dreamt that I was somewhere staying with some family I didn't know. Leif and Winny were there, Hans was somewhere else. It was some circumstance where I needed to get out, but it was difficult. I think this stems from having watched Hotel Rwanda this past weekend. Hans was somewhere else and had sent me my passport and Leif's birth certificate and tickets to England (of all places). But I couldn't take Winny. The family I was with reluctantly agreed to take care of her until I could have her shipped to me. I had noticed that Winny had been limping, but hadn't worried a whole lot. Then suddenly I was getting ready to leave in a hurry and Winny took a turn for the worse. She had a large mass on her hip and couldn't walk. I had a choice, miss my and Leif's flight to get out of the place I needed to escape in order to take Winny to the vet, or leave Winny and get on the plane with Leif. The family I was staying with refused to take Winny to the vet. I chastized them for just letting an animal, a really great and loyal animal just die, I was in tears but knew that Leif was my first priority. The woman finally said that if I paid her a substantial amount she would take Winny to the vet for me. I agreed, knowing that it was likely that she actually wouldn't.

It was a horrible dream and when I woke up I just wanted to snuggle with Winny and tell her what a good dog she was.

My goal come Monday is to get back to getting up in the morning and taking her for a walk/run. I *think* I can do this. If I put Leif in bed with Hans at 6am, he should stay asleep. Hans has this sedative quality about him (more about this later). Then I can get dressed and go for a walk (eventually a run) with Winny like we used to do. On mornings Leif doesn't want to go back to sleep and Hans' sedative presence doesn't work I can put Leif into the stroller and at least walk. This might eventually justify the purchase of a jogging stroller if he regularly gets up.

Winny has been so neglected for the last 10 months and I see it in her eyes. She has quit coming to roust me out of bed at 6am with anticipation of a nice trip on the trail. She has given up and it makes me sad. I not only need to do this for her, but I need to do it for me.

--------------

So Hans' sedative presence. I have noticed that on the nights when Hans works, I stay up late. I frequently don't get to bed until 11pm. Not because it takes me this long to get things ready for tomorrow, but because I am not tired. But put Hans in the same house with me and I am out like a light at 9:30pm. Why is this?

Put Leif next to Hans in the bed and Leif falls back asleep. Leif won't sleep at night, put him on Hans' chest and he sleeps. (This doesn't work on my chest.) Hans has trouble sleeping regularly... I fear it is that Leif and I are sucking out his sleep phermones and using them for ourselves.

---------------

So I have a biter on my hands right now. We are really trying to nip this in the bud now. Leif bit Cate on the finger on Sunday and I immediatly started fearing the worst. Shortly after at the BBQ he bit me, twice, leaving large bruises. I haven't really known what to do about this since I KNOW it isn't malicious in nature. He gets excited playing, or anxious for something, and chomps down. I talked with Leif's daycare teacher yesterday about 2pm about ways to curb this, because having a biter is not acceptable to me. She gave me some good suggestions and I really trust her to lead me in the correct way.

I went to pick Leif up at daycare yesterday and come to find out (after talking with Vanessa about his biting during the day) that he had bit Cate on the arm at daycare. Ugh. Help?

---------------

So Hans has another interview, his third for one of the three jobs he has recently applied for and become quite optimistic about. It is a position with the State Department of Ecology working as a chemist. He applied pretty much last minute about 6 weeks ago after a girl I work with called me and said there was an opening, she knew one of the people in the labs and had recommended Hans. He applied online, having done this at the state website a million times before, not expecting to hear anything about it again really.

A few weeks later he got notice that he was one of the selected applicants whose information was sent to the hiring office. Yay! Soon after the local hiring office sent him a packet to fill out and return including responses to four essays. (You would have thought Hans was having teeth pulled. Painful.) He was quite discouraged to have to write four essays for a job that he was positive wouldn't pan out or even yield an interview. But he wrote the essays, put on his suit and dropped the forms off. Yesterday the call came for an interview and he is beside himself. Next Thursday it is!

Send good interview vibes his way please!

No comments: