Thursday, June 23, 2005

Almost time to go home

And I don't want to start anything new. So here I am.

Leif stayed home with Hans today. Hans is in between jobs, literally. He gave notice at his other job, offered two weeks notice, they declined and showed him the door. Which did NOT break his heart. So before Hans goest back to work at a new job on Monday (returning to that point of having no accrued vacation or other leave), he thought he would have a daddy and son day with Leif. This is good for both of them. The phone has only rang a few times today (see below).

Thinking about taking tomorrow afternoon off as vacation and leaving Leif at daycare so we can go see Star Wars. I am not completely sold on the idea yet. Pre-Leif I would have had to see it in the theater. Post-Leif, it just isn't that important anymore. But Hans wants to see it and so maybe I will do this. That does mean I have to leave a meeting a touch early since my meeting ends at 1pm and the movie starts at 1:10pm. I know, you can get there 10-15 minutes late, it's all previews. But I am anal like that and *cannot* arrive late. But I have no problem leaving work early. ;-)

We are having an adult dinner out on Saturday with Kent and Vanessa. We are going to Anthony's for dinner. Yum. I am so looking forward to sitting in a gorgeous restaurant, looking out over the water, drinking some fabulous wine (I am thinking the Eroica Reisling would match ANY fish dish). We are celebrating Hans' new job and Vanessa getting a go ahead on her proposal.

Leif is hanging out with Cate and their daycare teacher is watching them. What is the going rate for a babysitter? Not any babysitter, a really good one, one that the last thing you *ever* want to do is tick off. In inquiring about this with my coworkers this afternoon I have found TWO supposed "excellent" babysitters (15 year olds).

I think that Hans and I should start making a goal of getting out of the house once a month, just the two of us, or with friends. I really do prefer to spend my evenings with Leif and seek things to do with him. But it is probably a good idea to have some adult time. And I wouldn't mind starting to go to a movie on occasion. The last one I saw was Troy when I was about 30 weeks pregnant and I thought I was going to die sitting in that damned chair for almost 3 hours. Seeing Brad Pitts bare chest almost made up for it.

We have this weekend at home. I am looking forward to Farmer's Market on Saturday. I will work all next week and then we are leaving and driving to the coast to see Hans' extended family and stay in the cabin there. I am a touch paranoid about a 5 hour drive with Leif. Hans is excited to show off his little boy. I am looking forward to digging a significant number of clams on the beach in front of the cabin, steaming them and freezing clams and nectar for cooking. I want to BBQ some oysters fresh off the beach (because I cannot stand raw oysters). I will probably also shuck a few (oh funny me, HANS will shuck a few) to freeze for oyster stuffing, which I have never made but want to.

Shortly after getting back on the 5th of July, I will head to my mom's house in Colorado for a week. I need some pampering from mom. And she needs to see Leif. We are going to eat well, shop well and eat well some more. My list of required restaurant stops is growing. Rio Grande for a lunchtime margarita (and not the lunchtime size either), oh and food. Youngs for Vietnamese. I am hoping to convince her to partake in some sushi, or at least convince her that there is other stuff at Japanese restaurants that she might like. I need a trip to a mall of reasonable size too.

Oh yeah, the other exciting news is that my former Ph.D. advisor contacted me about chairing a section at a conference! Stoked! We get to go back to Reno for a week next summer and hang out. Way looking forward to a trip to the lake (Tahoe, we were married in Tahoe City), going out to eat at some of our old favs, I would like a trip to Amador county for some zin tastings. And seeing old friends and former profs.

Ok, I am outta here! Good night.

No comments: