Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Father's Day Camping

Last Friday we ventured out for Leif's first camping trip with our good friends. I was really anxious to get out of town and have some family time away from the town. We had a great drive up north about 3 hours. Found the world's best campground, big enough for us all, a creek running through, and trees, lots and lots of trees. And bonus for Winny were lots and lots of chipmunks to clear out of the campground. We chose this area because of its proximity to town in case the kids should fall ill.

Winny's favorite campground chore is to keep the perimeter safe. This means that no chipmunks or squirrels should disturb the Arrowroot cookies, Cheerios or other assorted morsels of food that have made their way to the dirt. Because she is positive that we will have a use for those later.

Leif's biggest fascination was the fire. (Those of you who know my pyromaniac husband, this will come as absolutely no surprise to you. OTOH, it strikes fear into my heart.) Cate's biggest fascination was proving herself worthy as a soil scientist by experiencing it first hand... in the mouth. ;-)

Car camping with our family is quite plush. We like good food and according to Hans, cooking it over an open flame in the forest only makes it better. We have our big tent, with air mattress, SUV to get us where we are going (despite the fact that a 2wd car could get us there), a French Press for our morning coffee, and other amenities like the video camera (which I never pulled out). Hans and I have never been backpacking, and I just don't see it happening! Although I CAN pack light when necessary (see bear trip). Hans told me this week he could see that I have learned well from his mother wrt packing for camping!

All would have been perfect had Hans not picked up a stomach bug that has totally knocked him on his butt from late Friday night through this morning (Tuesday). He seems to be recovering as of today. But it hit him hard at the worst time. After much debating Hans insisted that he could do a 3 mile hike. I don't know if I found the wrong trailhead, or if we missed a turnaround point, but our 3 mile hike turned into about 3 hours, which by my calculation puts it anywhere between 6 and 9 miles.It was a gorgeous and easy hike, I loved it.

Hans tolerated this amazingly well, and was even thinking he was starting to feel better. Upon returning to the campground however, he was struck down for having such thoughts. We ended up packing up some stuff and heading into town for a hotel room and possibly a trip to the ER. We arrived at the Best Western (chosen because of their motto of accepting pets, which we found to be hit or miss on our trek to move north).

I went in and was told there was one room left, how many will there be? Two adults, an infant and a dog, I replied. This was where they stopped typing. I was told this was not a pet room, and they couldn't take us. I asked what other hotels in the area accept dogs, none. I pulled out the tears at this point. "Will the next town over have anything, do you know?" Doubtful. "Well I will leave her in the car. We were camping and my husband has gotten very sick and I have a 10 month old in the car." Wait a second and let me call the manager he says... a few minutes later the manager gives them permission to give us the non-pet room on the 2nd floor.

My first thought was "oh geez, Winny going up a flight of stairs or elevator..." I have a strange dog. She despises stairwells or any enclosed spaces. Seriously freaks out. I had a bungee cord to use for a leash because we had left her leash with our things back at camp. I quickly banished the thought, getting Winny up a flight of stairs should be the least of my worries. "I'll take it", I said and they gave me the price, $175 plus taxes and fees. Gulp. We were NOT in New York City, but at this point, my goal was to get a room and get everyone up there and in bed and Hans access to a bathroom.

The night was rough, even though we were in a hotel. Leif didn't want to sleep. Hans was up and down. Leif and I got up at 5:30am and waited until 7am when we could go to the single best continental breakfast I have ever eaten. We got back to the room and it was looking as though Leif and I would head back to camp and pack it up and come back and get Hans. Hans finally reconsidered and got ready and we checked out and headed back to camp to pack up.

Our wonderful friends had packed everything for us that wasn't in the tent. So I packed up the clothes and such. The tent was disassembled and the car loaded and we started our trek back home. I was bummed to have not been able to go shopping in the cute Bavarian town, but I will someday.

Oh yeah, and it was Father's Day too. Hans' first. Not a fun way to spend the day, but we got home about 1pm and Hans layed on the couch most of the rest of the day. Leif and I blew up his swimming pool, coated his whiter than a dead fish skin (that he gets from mommy) with sunblock and he "swam" in the backyard for about 20 minutes, until he saw Winny and decided to get out and chase her. Winny was careful to walk a wide berth of the swimming pool, lest she fall in and get wet or something. (Odd dog also hates water.)

Here's hoping that next Father's Day finds Hans well and able to enjoy the day!

No comments: