Sunday, June 19, 2005

06-16-05, the day

Not today... but that is THE day that Leif took his first steps.

We were scrambling to get ready to leave for camping the following Friday morning. It was getting late, I had just gotten off the phone with my dad where he specifically asked me if Leif was walking. And if I remember correctly, I said, "oh he still has a few weeks I think, he isn't even crusing yet". Well evidently cruising is not a necessary precursor to walking.

I was in the kitchen, carrying Leif. I put him down in the middle of the floor standing as I headed off to do something. For some reason I looked back and that's when I saw him take two steps towards the Rubbermaid tub I put out for camping gear. I felt panicked actually at first. I yelled for Hans who came running.

We tested him out with some success. Walking between us yielded 3 steps once. Then he took 4 steps from the fridge to the towel rack with my beloved cross stitch towels from Tanya (that Leif LOVES to pull down). All night we were in shock.

In one instance, I was thrilled to see him take his first steps. But in the other I am saddened by how fast he is growing up. I really think time has probably always flown this fast. It is just more apparent having a measurable "device" in front of us that changes so quickly. One friend of Hans' parents had an interesting theory about time passage and why it passes so quickly as you age... I like this. Anyways, Mayor Rick told me that time passes quicker when you get older because it is a smaller percentage of your overall lifetime. For example, when you were 5 and it was SOO long to the next Christmas. But that 1 year accounted for 20% of your entire lifetime. At 33, one year accounts for 3% of my lifetime. Now 20% of my entire life is about 7.3 years. So in essence, is 1 year of a 5 year olds life equivelent to 7.3 years of a 33 year olds life? Interesting philosophical thought...

We love every stage. This one is great. Leif gets so proud of himself for doing different things. Today he was dipping his spoon (that he insisted on holding) in oatmeal and putting it in his mouth quite effectively. Thursday at daycare he waved at Miss Kathy, Miss Alysha and then Cate on the way out. He is SOOO coy acting, he cracks me up.

So at age 10.5 months, Leif is taking his first steps. He took a few days off (while camping). But has resumed this new trick at home today and had a few series of 3 steps.

I have a feeling he will be running at his first birthday.

No comments: