Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Who needs sleep? I do.

I am tired. Why am I saying or complaining about this now when Leif has just started sleeping through the night?

At about 1am, on clicks the monitor and someone dialing. Damn. I reach over and shut the monitor off. I have got to deal with the dork who likes to call people in the middle of the night and is tapped into our frequency. I mean who calls people at midnight? Oh wait nevermind... I won't go down that road.

We had LJ's favorite playmate over for a little while last night and she and LJ played. They are a riot together.

I stressed a lot last night about the personnel issues that are going on on my task. I think this is part of the reason I didn't sleep well. I just don't deal well with HR type personnel issues. The guy was a jerk, plain and simple. He had reason to be frustrated, but he acted inappropriately. Part of me thinks I should have nipped it in the bud when the first sign showed up. But I didn't know it would continue to escalate. I thought it would slide by the wayside.

As of today the guy is left with a black mark on his HR record, had a sit down with our manager who lined out things he needed to do to rectify the situation, which he did. Then he came to me this afternoon, quite contrite, and resigned from my task as of 9-30-05. It was expected. I didn't think he would opt to continue and had planned on putting the option out there for him to resign. He beat me to the punch and resigned on his own accord. I like the guy, I don't have bad things to say about him or his work really. I told him I appreciated his technical ability and felt that it was an unfortunate situation. Then we parted ways.It was for the best.

I had a good meeting this afternoon where I met with my division director and some other people on the project. I seem to have finally cracked through with my division director and proven myself capable. I am tackling one of his pet projects this coming FY and he is thrilled and mentioned so a few times. It was not expected of me but I presented to the group and him how I planned to approach the problem and everyone was quite happy with how I plan to research the issue. So that went quite well.

Last night AB dropped a class. It was very hard for him to do because he likes the class and he wants the credits. But taking 7 credits, working full time and helping care for a toddler (not to mention stressing about a wife going on travel next week for 2 days) pushed him over the edge and he canned the class. Now instead of having class 4 nights a week, it is 2 nights. Doable, IMO.

Today has been busy and a little stressful. Thus my tiredness. I am going to go pick up LJ and go home, figure out what to fix for dinner and have a glass of wine.

Goodnight.

No comments: