Wednesday, September 14, 2005

The Time Traveler's Wife

Last night was really nice. It was book club night. So me and 5 other women got together to discuss The Time Traveler's Wife. I LOVED this book. It was extremely well written, thought provoking and surprisingly (and amazingly) simply written for a difficult concept to tackle like the whole space time continuum. This is one of those rare books that I think everyone would love. Unfortunatly, not everyone did love it. I have heard of a number of people who "just couldn't get into it" and one woman in our book club disliked it.

It does have its pros and cons. One con from my POV is that I found some of the language harsh and unnecessarily so. Why use the "c" word? Seriously now, the majority of the audience is likely to be female and frankly, we don't need to read that word. It interrupted the flow of the book and was a little too shocking for my prude ears (says the same woman who loved Sex and the City).

Details in the book were amazingly thought out, like the fact that the time traveler couldn't take anything with him and so even details like his fillings feel out were mentioned. But then again, as V pointed out, at what point does your food become part of you?

AB has mentioned a desire to read the book. Mr. Hard Core Sci-Fi. I am anxious to see what he thinks. Time travel is a motif of the book and a main focus, but first and foremost I would call it a love story. One of the lingering questions we had was will there be a "Time Traveler's Daughter"?

So we aren't ALL about the books. We have to take up at least two hours away from our husbands and kids and so we fill the time by eating and drinking wine. B made a fantastic chocolate cherry trifle cake. (Whenever I see a trifle I think about that Friends episode where Rachel makes a Christmas trifle and puts meat in it. There was no meat in this one.) It was WONDERFUL. We sat out on the porch and the weather was perfect. It was a great night.

No comments: