Tuesday, September 06, 2005

One growing boy

Unreal. Leif wore his yellow Gymborree Hawaiian shirt and hat for the last time this weekend. Well and the hat wouldn't really fit, so he didn't even wear that. The kid has spanned nearly 3 sizes in one season. He started this summer in a few short sleeved 9 month shirts and shorts because the 12 month sizes were so baggy. He quickly abandoned those 9 month sizes and into 12 months. In July we made a trip to the Carters outlet in Colorado where I couldn't believe I was buying 18 month rompers for him. Just last week we realized the reason the snaps won't stay done below is that they are too small. I refuse to buy more rompers (which are really perfect for daycare) in 2T right now. So he will have to make do with what he has left, there are a few things that fit still. But sheesh! Someone tell me this rate of growth does not continue.

(And I am really hoping all those one piece 18 month long sleeved rompers I bought for a great deal at Costco months ago are going to fit still...)

Leif has a new thing going. Vocabulary. It is starting to increase gradually. Mama and dada are staples, although I sometimes still get called "dada". The other day he said "Win" when I was calling Winny. The two latest are "done" and "go". I always ask him "all done?" when he eats and now he replies "done" with a nod of his head. This morning I asked "ready to go?" and he said "go" repeatedly. (I guess we needed to hurry to school.)

We had a nice weekend, albeit, far too quick for a long weekend. We started Friday with a stop at a local winery for a glass of wine and tapas with friends. It was enjoyable, even with two busy 13 month olds. I got my hair cut shortly after that. Saturday we ran a few errands, went to the grocery store, went to Farmer's Market where Hans bought loads and loads of tomatoes and I bought vegies.

Hans processed the tomatoes (about 35 lbs) through our food mill. Love that thing. He was done in about an hour, as opposed to peeling and seeding 35 lbs of tomatoes. Then he made spaghetti sauce and let it simmer all day and then half of Sunday. It was spectacular. I know it is easier to make from canned tomatoes and a lot faster, but we love the taste of the fresh tomatoes at the height of tomato season. And yes, spaghetti sauce just isn't that expensive, but we find that the canned sauces (which we do use when we run out of frozen) are very sweet. And the ones that aren't, typically cost a fortune. We now have 13 meals of spaghetti sauce frozen individually in the deep freeze.

He had intentions of doing green chili as well, but by Monday, it was time to recuperate. Sunday we went to a BBQ with many of my coworkers after a quick (but expensive) trip to Costco. I bought a second pair of size 10 jeans - and they fit! Much rejoicing and I couldn't resist wearing them to the BBQ. Leif played with the kids, Julia who is 1.5 and we tried to get him to play with Nathaniel, to no avail. This cracks me up. Leif has been in daycare with Nathaniel for nearly one year. Now they are in the same Montessori class, with the same teacher. But they act like they have no idea who each other are. And maybe they don't. They don't see each other out of the daycare room. I guess one of the things that perplexes me about this is that Nathaniel is black, and we know so few black people. (This area is particularly white and Hispanic.) I would have thought that Nathaniel would have stood out in Leif's mind.

We were marvelling about this at the BBQ and Tony (division director) made the comment that at this age, other kids are just objects. Maybe right, but I don't necessarily agree with this, because Leif and Cate really do interact with each other. They smile, laught, hold hands. They typically play next to each other and not really together, but they know the other exists. Anyways, kids this age are really fascinating to me!

Vanessa and I took the kids and shopped Sunday afternoon. I picked up a few books for Leif and one for me. We went to Gap and I bought Leif some new clothes with his "appreciation card". I have successfully stretched the $500 card he won last year in the Gap online contest over a year. I could have spent it all at once, but I wanted a variety of things that I probably wouldn't normally have purchased. There is $50 left, that I am thinking we will buy a cute winter coat. I bought him a pea coat last year from Children's Place on sale for like $12. But it won't be a good daily coat. I am waiting to see what options exist in the next few months at the Gap since he doesn't need it quite yet. We bought lots of long sleeved shirts, a few pairs of pants, etc. At Children's Place he got the cutest flannel lined brown corduroy overalls and matching hat. They will be perfect for our trip to the pumpkin patch!

Today was brutal getting up and out of the house to walk Winny. She was especially happy to go on our walk. Leif had a great night, up once at 4am, drank some milk from a sippy cup and was back down shortly after. Ok, honest truth... this is how it was... he was initially up at 4:04 am. Hans got up with him, but was back to bed at 4:08am. I *knew* this wasn't going to do it and was wishing he would have given it a little more time. Sure thing... at 4:20am I was up with him and got him down again after milk and chatting some. He slept until 7am, 11 hours total. He is doing fabulous!

Today he brought snack to daycare. We brought plums off our tree and yogurt. I hope that was ok. I need to take a better look at the suggestion list for next time. Leif got there, kissed me goodbye and went to wash his hands for snack. His teachers told me how well he is doing. And it is evident. He walks in the room and typically takes only a minute to adjust before he is off and busy.

No comments: