Friday, September 23, 2005

Loving my horoscope...

"Flighty people are distracting you. Wait until they leave the scene to continue."

Ok, I will do that.

In the meantime... I am sitting here wondering how snack time is going over at LJ's school. It was LJ's snack day and we brought cheese and rice crackers today. One of the girls in his class has a severe wheat allergy and dairy allergy. So consequently she is on a pretty restricted diet. I know that rarely does she get to partake in snack with the rest of the kids because it is often crackers and cheese. Well we did the cheese, but I saw gluten free rice crackers and picked them up, hoping that she will be able to have some.

I have my presentation for my trip to DC next week. It isn't mine, but the PM put my name on the front page and went back in time and listed me as a collaborator. That went a fair ways to mend fences with me. Afterall, up until yesterday I was the only one who had worked on the project this fiscal year.

I am always tossed up about this type of presentation... I didn't prepare it, so I don't know it inside and out. Especially the background. So in one sense that sucks because I could be sideswiped with questions, but in another sense, I don't have to prepare a presentation. Good and bad.

This morning I bent over backwards to enable an experiment to happen on my good project. I got many, many thanks from this PM. He is a really great guy.

Weekend plans are becoming clearer. V and I are likely headed to Nordstroms to shop tomorrow morning while the guys either study or AB might have to work some. Nice thing about going together is that one of us can watch the kids while the other tries things on in peace. Then we have a list of 3 wineries we want to hit.

AB and I are big wine fans and have been since about 1997. This is back in the old days before we were married, we went to Napa Valley with AB's friends from high school and some of their other friends. It was a super time. There were probably 10-12 of us and we had a house on a hill to stay in. We rode bikes to Pine Ridge winery to start. We had booked a private tour ahead of time and barrel and bottle tasted ourselves into a stupor. And Pine Ridge is not an inexpensive winery. Our host had a blast with us and opened about 10 bottles of wine and drained every last one.

We got back on our bikes and slowly and crookedly made our way to Clos du Val. I got my 3rd flat tire on the way and was positive that they were just going to leave me behind. They didn't. Ok, AB did and one of his buddies changed my tire for me. ;-) We got to Clos du Val and drank more wine somewhat intelligently from our newly learned knowledge from our wine tour (as opposed to simply drinking for the sake of drinking free booze - we were much younger afterall).

After that we rode off for a little while and made it to Van der Heyden. We needed a rest. So we went back to the tasting room, a shed. Wonderful, wonderful wine. My first wine shot in a truffle experience. Highly recommended. After that we made our way back... me in the car, AB on his bike. He tells stories of being so tired and out of shape since all his buddies rode bikes to their jobs in San Fran that the flies were circling him.

Ok, so enough reminiscing. We still love wine and so do our friends here. So off to taste we will go this weekend! AB and I need to work on adding to our "cellar". (Cellar consists of 6 styrofoam boxes in our guest room.) We just finished off one of our last 1997 bottles, it was fabulous and opened on accident. Man were we kicking ourselves for not reading the labels better. We have other wines in there we have accumulated over the last few years. But we need another case of something ageworthy to throw in there and drink over the next few years... not sure what that will be. Maybe I will actually update the Atomic Wine blog that has gone very neglected.



No comments: