Monday, September 12, 2005

A horrible mom

LJ went home sick on Friday. There starts my horrible mom-ness. I was in a meeting, without my cell phone. My cell phone was sitting in my car. I was in a stupid brainstorming Q12 Gallup meeting trying to figure out with members of my group why we are such an unhappy bunch. 1 hour meeting and 1:45 minutes later... the meeting ends. I get to my car and see that I have 3 messages. LJ's school and AB.

"Hi NM, this is Jamie and I am just calling to tell you that we have L in the office, he has a fever of 101 and is lethargic. Please call us or come get him."

"Hi NM, Jamie again, just in case you didn't get the other messages, LJ has a fever and is lethargic."

"Hi honey, where are you? LJ's daycare called me and said he has a fever and they can't get you, I will go get him since we can't reach you." (guilt, guilt, guilt - albeit unintentional of course.)

Yes, that is why there are TWO contact numbers (and the fact that I am so grateful to NOT be a single mom), I know. But I still can't help but feel horribly guilty for not having my cell in my pocket on vibrate. I *always* do, of course, the one time I don't.

I call AB. He is home with LJ, they are fine. LJ is fussy and has a fever. I instruct Advil and then break the news that I have ANOTHER meeting at 2pm and can't be home till after that. I cringe. AB is fine with that. He will go back to work when I get home sometime after 3pm.

I go to my meeting, it is a good meeting. Project manager is happy. But I am feeling impatient and rushed. Meeting ends and I am out of there. I *know* LJ is teething. He hasn't gotten more teeth in at least 3 months now, it has to be teeth. We push Advil, teething tablets and things to chew on.

Then Saturday arrives, same routine except there are spontaneous meltdowns. Unusual for LJ. Then after his nap we realize the kid has real balance issues, can't take 4 steps without falling down it dawns on us... his EARS! We take him to the Urgent Care. Here is where I feel like a sucky mom for the second time. Doctor looks inside his ears and says "wow, I haven't seen ears infected this bad in a long time". Then he points out all the symptoms I have ignored. The green mucus (the LJ is ALWAYS mucousy, we have accepted it as a fact of life), the slightly pink eye, the congestion and the swollen glands.

Oh and not just one ear, nope, both, badly infected. We get the Augmentin and go home with instructions to get him into his regular doc next Monday to make sure he is on the way to better. Sunday is misery. LJ is spontaneously screaming at the top of his lungs. We can't keep enough Advil in him and he can't nap either. I decide that I will plan on staying home with him Monday. I have to redeem my piss poor mommy status and care for my baby. (Ok, I offer to stay home after I check my work calendar... bad mommy.)

Today LJ was doing better, but not 100%. By this afternoon his balance had returned. And the boy slept 4.5 hours total today. 2.5 hour nap in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. I got SOO much done. It is truly amazing what I can get done with a napping toddler and a husband not hovering over my shoulder!

I made a cake and frosted it, I painted LJ's stool I bought a month ago for him, I finished the pumpkins up (I bought wooden unfinished pumpkin "ornaments" and painted them orange, then put LJ's hand in black paint and did a hand print on each, then wrote "Happy Halloween, Love LJ '05" on each. I just need to buy those sticky magnets for the back... and send them off to the grandparents) I cooked dinner (halibut with Sambal vinegrette and wasabi cream sauce with rice pilaf and Ceasar salad). I finished my book for book club (Time Traveller's Wife - FANTASTIC read) and I read a magazine. I helped LJ fingerpaint with the leftover stool paint, we walked Winny and then played and played when he was awake. Wow!

So here is my resolution. From now on, I resolve to take one day off each quarter to stay at home and hang out with LJ, by myself. And we are going to make it quality time at home doing crafts or just playing, not out running errands. I resolve to have every craft item I need ahead of time so that we don't spend it tracking stuff down.

I had a fantastic day - aside from LJ being sick - and it was productive. I can really use one day every 3 months for this. Right now I am earning 3 weeks vacation a year (one week more than AB) and as he pointed out that means that I can use that extra week for doing this (as opposed to like going to Colorado by myself with LJ or something...). In another year and a half I will have 4 weeks vacation (yes, I am counting down), I need to take advantage of this time and use it for family time. I am loving that as long as I stay with my company I will have 4 weeks vacation a year before LJ turns 3. (I will quit bragging now.)

Ok, off to pack lunches, make coffee and vege on the couch.

No comments: