Monday, August 01, 2005

The meeting

Friday I had a meeting with my manager about the "criteria for promotion". I was very nervous. Partially because I find her intimidating, likely because I don't know her. Partly because I was afraid of what she would say, i.e., something like 'you silly girl you, you don't deserve a promotion, we want you out of here and are just waiting for you to wisen up that this isn't the place for you'. (Which if this is the case, I DO want to hear.) And I also partly worried about keeping my own emotions in check. I am still incredibly ticked about being passed over for a promotion last year. I still feel as though I should have been HIRED in at a 3. But it wasn't going to happen and I wanted the permenancy, so I didn't balk probably as much as I should have.

I didn't want to walk in ready to break her (albeit nonexistant) balls, but I also didn't want to go in my typical meek, quiet, "whatever you think is right" little mousy side (that I am really working hard to overcome). So I aimed to strike a balance and so I talked with people close to me about how to approach it all. I tried to watch my body language, i.e., don't sit back with my arms crossed, even if it is just more comfortable.

I went in and she pulled out her notebook and already had a list of requirements ready and available. Yay!

Here they are (highlighting and sarcasm is mine):
S&E2:
BS or Ph.D. new hire
Technical knowledge that is sought out.
Defined expertise
Contributes ideas to scientific work
May execute a small task
Starting to work more independently
Aware of need for business development.

S&E3:
Ph.D. 1-2 years
Begin proposal development (so does getting a half million dollar proposal, $1.8 million for 4 years, funded count?)
Offers technical expertise.
Has provided significant contribution to proposal (oh you mean like having written some? Was 12 last year enough?)
Starting to present to clients (Umm, do this weekly.)
Engaging leadership
Takes initiative
Learning business development (see #2 above...)
Task leadership (have 3 of my own tasks)
Direct 2-3 others (per task/project or all together, oh wait, either way that doesn't matter...)
Some mentoring
Networking (consistently one of my strongest suits)
Publications/Patents/Reports/Deliverables (Umm, this is XY directorate, publications thing, pretty much nonexistant here, but I have one patent in my name and 2 invention reports where I was a contributor.)

So I pulled out my arsenal:
1. Latest status of my patent application
2. Confirmation of invention reports
3. Indication of my proposal likely being funded
4. E-mail introducing me as the new task lead for an LDRD
5. An invitation to review high dollar proposals at the national level (oops skipped lab level) ;-)
6. The most recent client review where I presented orally my work.

And you know what? It all went spendidly. It was all well received and #5 above? Well she called it "unprecedented for someone at your level and experience".

I then talked about lab space and personnel if my proposal is funded. Then closed by asking her if I could get a copy of her list of expectations. She agreed, albeit a little perplexed with why I would ask for that. Evidence... evidence that we talked about this and that this is what she wants. Now that I have these things listed out and can say I am functioning as a 3, if it doesn't happen, then it is ammunition for a visit to HR. Please, please, don't make me have to do that. I really, really, don't want to.

On a similar note, a girl I work with who is THE single biggest gossip around came by my office to tell me why she wasn't accepted for a DC assignment, of course it isn't because she is totally not qualified, lol. She asked how things were going and proceeded to dwell on again (knowing it is SDR time) what I thought my chances for promotion were and how appalled she was that last year I wasn't promoted and further how she has discussed this at length with my former team lead, and that they have agreed to disagree. He apparently told her what a disservice she (and others) was doing to me by continuing to dwell on this. Her response is that she just isn't going to let anyone forget that women are treated unfairly in my group. Yikes. Slippery slope and one that I am not endorsing, even if I do think there is probably an ounce of truth to it. ;-) Basically, I think it comes down to that I was out on maternity leave, out of sight, out of mind, and NO ONE is EVER going to admit that being the case lest they open themselves up for lawsuit.





No comments: