Friday, August 12, 2005

TGIF!

Yay, I need a Friday.

This week has been pretty mellow. Not a lot really going on. Next week will be different. Too much next week. Monday afternoon we will do our second transition appointment at the Montessori school. Tuesday and Wednesday I am participating in a workshop that my one over one manager has organized and that I am feeling very fortunate to have been included in. So that means that on Tuesday, Hans will go to Leif's third transition appointment with him over lunch. Wednesday Leif starts at the school permanently. That sucks. His first day and I will be scrambling to get him in, dropped off, settled in and running out the door. Maybe that is good? Oh and then I will also miss teleconference, I missed this week too. That isn't like me, but it is fiscal year end and things are crazy on my 1830 projects.

So we had our first transition appointment today. It went well. We walked in and Leif held my hand and watched things for about 3 minutes. Then he dropped my hand and went and joined all the other kids at the snack table where he proceeded to try and take other kids food. That didn't go over well and food of his own soon appeared in front of him along with his own chair and place to sit at the table. He looked like such a little boy sitting there with his food in front of him.

Ok and go figure this... Leif hates bananas, yet I persist in putting them in front of him regularly. He picks one up and wrinkles his nose and won't touch it. What is the snack? Bananas and graham crackers! Do you think he hesitated at all to eat the banana? NOO! Little turkey dove right into it. I am sure every parent of a toddler can attest to a similar situation and is sitting there nodding right now.

Leif played and played in the room, he was so busy. The room was calm, quiet (except when Leif persisted in pushing a squeaky chair across the room). The kids were amiable, they went where they were called, the sat still while getting their sunscreen on. I was amazed watching these kids.
Leif knew two kids from daycare, Jonathen and Theresa. Three more he knows will join him at the end of the month. Leif went outside and played some. Then he came in and all the kids gathered around for story time. Leif decided to be the rogue (had to use that word) here and go play with toys instead (all the other kids stared!).

His new teacher, Miss Sufia, said that he will transition very easily. Most kids spend the entire hour attached to mom's leg. Nope, not Leif. (Just break my heart instead...) He fit right in and I am really pleased.

What I am NOT pleased about is my idiocy in scheduling his first day, next Wednesday, the day he would have transitioned to the toddler room. Ugh. That means, and I obviously didn't think about this beforehand, that we will pay Kindercare for a week, then we will pay Montessori for a week, then we pay the $30 registration fee, then we pay TWO weeks tuition as a deposit. And well, $800 later... and it appears my shopping expedition has been pre-empted.

Oh well. I really should stay around the house and *help* Hans with his spaghetti sauce making expedition. I want to make and freeze some more nectarine scones, and some zucchini bread. So I have enough on my schedule this weekend without trying to fit in a shopping trip.

Although we do have a portrait sitting scheduled for Saturday afternoon at Sears. I will probably have to venture into just a few stores in search of bargains...

Everyone have a super weekend!

*Rogue. As opposed to rouge, learn it. I am reviewing a proposal right now and the PI's keep using the word "rouge" instead of "rogue terrorists". I keep giggling at "rouge terrorists". What are they going to do? Run up to someone and spread rouge on their cheeks? Ha ha, you look like a clown! Hey, it would probably be easier to get a signature of the terrorists that way... yes, this terrorist used Maybelline's Just Cheeky!

No comments: