Monday, August 22, 2005

Where did the weekend go?

I assume we must have been busy, which is why my house is a bigger pit than it started on Friday. Gah.

Friday night, Hans got home from work late. We took Leif to his favorite restaurant, Inca. Leif loves Mexican food. (I had Mexican cravings when pregnant with him, coincidence?) He gets extraordinarily upset about not getting chips (I worry about the sharp corners) or margarita (I worry about the brain freeze). ;-) But aside from that he chows on rice, beans, beef, chicken and tortillas. And the fact that every.single.waitress in the joint comes over to flirt with him makes it "his" place. He is a MAJOR ham. He lives it up.

We go home, and Hans does the Friday night sci-fi thing as I work on my book, The Time Traveller's Wife, that I am LOVING so far.

Saturday, Leif does a quick morning nap then we head to Costco where we spent gobs of Hans' hard earned paycheck. We needed a Costco trip. We were due for one last week, but the excess tuition payment, daycare payment and school deposit rendered us poor until Friday when Hans got paid. We bought, among other things, clothes.

Not just any clothes either. I bought a pair of size 10 jeans. The mark of really having lost weight is being able to buy a pair of jeans in the new size and have them fit. Yeah sure you say, anyone can find a pair of baggy jeans in a size smaller to squeeze into. No, no my friend. I bought Nautica Slim fit, bootcut jeans. It's for real. And they look good!

We got home after eating lunch there and shopping for an hour-ish and Leif was konked in the car. We unload and I run off to be defiant at FedEx Kinkos while Hans picks the nectarines off the tree. I return (a little more than miffed) and was calmed by Vanessa's call telling us not to hurry over for dinner. Phew.

Dinner was fantastic, rottisserie chicken, lots of fresh vegies, margaritas... yum. Lemon bars, yum. Leif was great aside from him asserting his hit or miss pickiness at the table. I will not complain, I was the exact same. I know I drove my mom and dad insane. I had reasons why something was fine one day and the next it was not. I can't illustrate them today, thankfully, I have grown out of it. Cate, despite the fact that her gums look like a warzone from those God awful molars, was doing well and Leif was thrilled to see her.

Saturday night, home again, Leif is in bed and we put on a movie, Birth. Snooze...

Sunday, I sleep in (glory), Hans makes crepes with nectarines and make a piggy of myself. Leif tastes it and resorts to licking the sugar off the crepe. Nice. I clean the house and Hans heads to work. Leif needed a nap before swimming so after 30 minutes I succumb, I put him in the car and drive for 10 minutes. We are home and he is out like a light. He sleeps for 45 minutes (better than nothing) and then is up. I had just enough time to pick up the kitchen and start laundry.

He had a fabulous time at swimming. The pool temperature was acceptable. It was the last day, so a "fun" day. Leif had a super time as did the other kids. Leif cracked me up when he decided he was going to "blow bubbles" like daddy. He stuck his mouth in, lifted his head up and then blew. And apparently that technique required refinement as he kept repeating this. He was too cute.

Sunday afternoon Hans decided he didn't need to go back to work and so we went home. Got rinsed off and headed to Petsmart (Hans) and Michaels (me and Leif). I raided the Halloween section pretty seriously. I also bought Leif a small step stool I plan to paint (along with the table and chairs he already has that need paint). I bought picture frames and then some neat fall garland. I always have intentions of doing some wreaths, but never any idea on what to actually put into one. We went to check out and had the nicest ever checkout guy. But man was he slow. Everyone started complaining. Hans was quite sure he was beyond baked.

We got home and I put out the clearance coloring book and knock off crayons I bought at Michaels for Leif. He thought that was really neat. But I learned a lesson, pay 4x as much for the real Crayolas. The wax actually flaked off of the coloring book pages, AND with Leif's long, far reaching swoops with the crayons, they actually DREW on the carpet fibers. And he doesn't push down hard. According to Abby they taste better too, although Leif found the knock offs to be quite tasty.

Hans dried a huge batch of nectarines and shortly afterwards got the food mill out and pushed the remainder through that with the intention of making jam/jelly. Yes, I know there is a difference, but this concoction out of the food mill is somewhere between. Solids were pureed, but it was still thick. Anyways, food mill was a very wise investment. It took Hans about 10 minutes to mill 2 bags of nectarines down to 13 cups of purree. I made a quick run to Albertsons when I realized I had no pectin. Got the jars cleaned and at about 6pm we had 21 jars of nectarine jam/jelly.

Leif had pasta and sauce for dinner, Hans and I had salmon fish tacos. I cleaned while Hans walked the poor, very neglected Winny-dog. We got Leif down for bedtime JUST in time for Six Feet Under series finale.

How sad. This was the best thing on TV for a long time. Now there is nothing. Well there is Entourage, which I love (cracked me up last night), but it isn't the same. Anyways the series finale was good. I was actually OK with it being over. Hans was 100% wrong, he was sure everything would be left hanging and that Claire would become a little main stream conformist. I hates him saying those things. And I was afraid he could be right. But ah ha! He was not. He was dead wrong on all accounts and somehow, they managed to wrap up every single storyline and not leave anything hanging.

Hans thought the last 10 minutes was a little on the hokey side, but to me, it made the end, ok, I guess. I knew that Claire would live happily to be 102, etc. It made sense. And it was NOT all left hanging! HA!

So, that's where my weekend went. I need another, now.

No comments: