Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Procrastination miscellaneation

Work:
I am a little annoyed, ok a lot annoyed, at one of the engineers I put to work on one of my projects. I was having trouble with an instrument and asked him to look into it since he built it. He charged my project (that has very little money already) 8 hours of his time (about $800) to tell me he couldn't figure it out. I went over today and it took me 30 minutes to figure it out. I grabbed the manual and went to "troubleshooting" and the first line listed the compatible components, which did NOT list any of the component part numbers he hooked up to it. Well no wonder it didn't work. Sheesh. I e-mailed him that I figured out the problem and asked him to fix it, replace the components. Of course, he has very little time this week but will *try* to get to it next week. I hope he remembers that he submitted my name as someone to do his annual performance evaluation…

Friends:
One of Hans' childhood best friends, Brian, is swimming the English Channel this week. Hans and I are really enjoying reading his daily updates. He arrived yesterday in England and has been hanging out. He gets a window of time from August 11-18th to swim the 21 (as the crow flies) miles and expects to complete it in between 12-16 hours. He has a crew (his dad, mom and our friend Josh) to help him and a boat to guide him.

I am in awe, seriously. I remember to graduate from the highest level of swimming classes and to qualify for the team I had to swim for 30 minutes straight, no stopping. It was SO hard, and I was just a kid! And to top it off I was a great little swimmer!

Cheers Brian!

Family:
Vanessa gave me a call this morning, she and her husband and daughter are off to her parent's house today. She called to tell me that one of Leif's daycare teachers who we adore talked to her yesterday about quitting. She is pregnant and due in November. She gets a whole 4 weeks maternity leave (barbaric IMO). Evidently she doesn't NEED to work, but loves the babies. She told Vanessa that she is thinking she might quit, stay home with her baby, but take on 2 kids in an effort to continue doing what she loves and that if Vanessa knows anyone who might be interested...

So if the wee todds room doesn't work out, and the Montessori school doesn't take them this year, there is something else out there.

I adore Alysha, the kids adore her. What is weird though is that Hans and I just hadn't really given much thought to in home daycare. I have mentioned the possibility of hiring a nanny once we have a second, to which Hans poo poo'd. (Daycare will make them TOUGH!) And I have to admit that I like all the activities, options and programs available in a professional setting. I know, to each his own.

My biggest concern with in home daycare is a lack of social interaction, lack of activities, and these (I am sure very incorrect) images of in home daycare teachers sitting on the couch watching soaps while the kids run amuck in the streets. But with Alysha, I *know* that wouldn't be the case.

We will play it by ear. Who knows, we have to see how Alysha handles her newborn after the birth. How the wee todds room is going. And where the kids stand with getting into the Montessori school.

Shopping:
The pangs are still there. I didn't go this weekend. My quick trip into Bed Bath and Beyond in search of a food mill didn't even touch the pangs, even though I bought a few other gadgets.

The pangs were crippling last night as I thumbed through the newest IKEA catalog that arrived in the mail yesterday. Crippling I tell you. I want, I want, I want... Shall we talk about "need" again? It was cruel. It was painful. As I turned the page and found the niftiest gadgets and furniture and tools at ridiculously low prices. (Except for the rugs, those were expensive.)

I need, need, need, a trip to Seattle soon. We are planning a trip to the coast in September to stay at the cabin by ourselves. I think a day trip by ferry over to Seattle is well justified. We could go to the aquarium, hit Pike's Market, have lunch and spend the afternoon wandering IKEA.

No comments: