Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Tearing my heart out

So I went to see Leif at 2pm. He cracks me up, he was chowing down. Evidently he was on his third meatball (large ones, not small) and third helping of rice pilaf. Of course, he had yet to finish his FIRST helping of green beans.

I talked to his teachers about the fact he will be leaving and they were so sad. He was going to be leaving his class anyways on Wednesday. Something I was in complete denial about until this morning. But him leaving the daycare for good, seems to be especially brutal on his two absolutely wonderful teachers.

Miss Alysha told me that next Tuesday is going to be a very sad day and that she will likely be crying all night long. This tore my heart out. What wonderful people to take care of someone else's child so well that they become so attached. I want nothing less for my child and for my money. But what pain, to remove a child from the care of someone who loves him so much. I want to tell them that they are part of our family, they are so important to us, that we will not abandon them!! It *almost* makes me want to go have another baby so they have another wonderful baby to take care of. *Almost*, but not quite yet. ;-)

Leif was busy entertaining, as he usually does, and she told me that next week is going to be so quiet and boring. She told me what a rarity it is to have such an entertaining child. Awww!

Miss Reca is a touch different. She is a tough older woman. She has been around the block a time or two and pretty much runs the place. I have a tremendous amount of respect for her. She is the one who has really encouraged us towards the Montessori school, so this comes as no surprise to her. But I won't even try to fool myself into thinking that him leaving isn't going to bother her. She told me from day one that these kids are her life. She keeps in contact with them all as long as parents are receptive.

This move is difficult for me too. I see what a great little boy Leif is turning into and I can't convince myself that he is an infant anymore. He is 100% little boy. Montessori stresses independence and self sufficiency. Miss Reca has told me I will be amazed at what he is really able to do for himself. They are going to make my baby grow up.

No comments: