Wednesday, August 31, 2005

So proud of my boy!

Last night was a super sleep night. We have been following The Sleep Lady's advice in her book. Well only so so, thus far. The idea was to not really start until Wednesday night, when our mornings aren't so rushed. But I figured we would "practice" a little first. Last night, Leif went into his crib at 8pm, a little later then I wanted, she suggests between 7-8pm they should be asleep. But you know what, most evenings it is just me and getting the dog walked, dinner cooked for Leif and I, getting Leif to eat, bathing Leif, pajamas, stories... and I don't get home until 5:30 typically. Well it is crunch time to him that 7-8pm deadline.

So he is in his crib at 8pm, and fairly happy about it. He scootches and crawls around, walks around a little, puts his head down, lifts his head up, puts his head down (repeat ad infinium)... Finally at 8:25pm, the head didn't poke up again. Nope, he was out. Put himself to sleep. Ok, so yes, he had a crutch, the pacifier which we still haven't abandoned completely. But the Sleep Lady says this is ok for now.

He was up ONCE, where I spent 40 minutes trying to get him back down with the Sleep Lady's recommendations. I admit, I screwed up the process to start by picking him up and snuggling him. But when it was obvious that it was going to take even more time. I was tired and had teleconference early this morning... so into bed he came with us. We are, after all, still practicing.

Leif had a great night! We were so happy. And I am typing with crossed fingers so I don't jinx myself and have a hell night tonight.

We got to school this morning and Leif hit the ground running. He was ready to get down to business. He went straight towards a cup of yellow stuff, to which I started to redirect him. His teacher says, "oh no, he can go paint". Go paint? Doesn't that require like massive supervision? She tells me, "he knows how". Umm yeah, I know he can paint, he can paint everything given the chance...


So I stand by to watch. Sure enough. He dips the brush into the paint. Walks the 3-4 feet over to the big piece of paper hanging up and paints. He runs out of paint and goes BACK to the paint, dips again and returns to the paper. I was so impressed. My son is an artiste! He is the next Michealangelo!

Of course, then another boy, Atticus, saw that Leif was painting and came over to help. This resulted in Leif deciding the paper was no longer good enough to paint and that it was better to paint Atticus. It was at this point that I made a quick exit...

No comments: