Friday, August 05, 2005

Boogey boy

Leif just cracks me up. He has started dancing. The groove just takes over his little legs!

And what does he groove to? His Leap Frog Farm Animals Barn. So he grooves to "She'll be comin' around the mountain" as well as the increasingly annoying "you made a match" song. He is such a riot dancing that WE have even taking to activating the songs ourselves when he is in the kitchen just to see him get up and boogey. Hans was hurrying out the door to work early today and he paused, laughing at Leif's boogey.

We have a new rule in our house going on. No singing the songs on electronic toys or regularly played DVDs (i.e., Schoolhouse Rock). This was placed into action because last night I busted Hans singing "You put a pig in front, you put a cow behind, put them together and what do you find? A pig-cow! That's silly!" Then onto all the other combinations... Apparently the usual songs he sings Leif to sleep with just weren't going to work... "Stars" from Les Miserables, "Swinging on a Star" by Bing Crosby, "Dreams" by Barenaked Ladies, and "St. Judy's Comet" by Paul Simon (my personal favorite). Nope, he resorted to the match songs. New rule has been instated.

It is Friday. I need a weekend bad. Hans is cleaning the garage and taking it easy otherwise. I am shopping. Leif is going to have spectacular naps. And Winny only thinks she is going for long walks (in 100+ degree heat, I don't think so).

Hans has an interview this afternoon. One thing he was excited about with getting his current job is NOT looking for a job and NOT interviewing. Before he was offered this job he had applied for a state chemist position with the Department of Ecology. He passed the test, wrote essays and interviewed, but did not get the job. Instead he got his current job and has been thrilled with it. Flash forward to Wednesday when he got home from work. There was a message on the answering machine saying that the position was open again and asking him to come and have a second interview. His gut said no, head said yes. Head won out and he is interviewing this afternoon. It would really have to be a spectacular opportunity though I think, for him to jump ship. He gets good pay, possibility for significant upward mobility with his current company, he can go to school and the benefits are all comparable to mine. We will see what he thinks after talking to them...

Things are fine, the same, on my work front. PPM just sent one of his naive underlings to ask me to order chemicals for them... he walked into my office a little scared looking. Makes me wonder what he has heard... Oh he got me though. I could not tell this nice guy, who is subject to PPMs evil reign that I am a Ph.D. scientist and not an administrative assistant thank you very much. I will order them... when I have time.

I finished my "Contribution Report". I have decided to in addition to the "Contribution Report" to bullet each of the requirements for a level 3 scientist that my manager gave me. And list the accomplishments that I feel I have met under each of these bullets. This was recommended to me by my mentor to support my bid for promotion. Next step is to make another appointment with my manager and sit down to go over all this in person with her and ask her frankly "given this, am I on your list for promotion?"

It is a quiet Friday. Fridays are often quiet here, many people work 4 day work weeks. But in the summer they are even quieter. I like it. I am supposed to have lunch with some of the women I work with today, but I am feeling like bailing. I would rather work through lunch and then pick Leif up at 4pm instead I think.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: