Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Leifer's Birthday Weekend

Friday was Leif's birthday and we celebrated in a low key manner. After work and daycare we went home and ordered Thai food, Leif got chicken noodle soup. Then he opened his presents from us. Of course he had no real interest in opening presents and was far more interested in the bows, ribbons, paper, etc. In addition to the water table, he got one of the Tupperware shape sorters just like I had as a kid. His is much easier to open and dump the shapes out though, or my hands have just gotten bigger and stronger. ;-)

He also got a set of Wee Wedgits and a set of regular Wedgits. Love these things, they are so addictive. The Wee Wedgits are a soft plastic and no itty bitty octagonal pieces that are choking hazards. The regular Wedgits have proven to be more of a toy for mom and dad as we try to outdo each other in our construction techniques. Hans, with his experience as a scaffold builder, seems to have an advantage, but not for long!

A few other small gifts, Pat the Puppy, and The Schoolhouse Rock DVD for, oh, I mean FROM daddy. ;-) I am seriously to the point of if I hear "unpack your adjectives" one more time...

Saturday we attended Cate's birthday party and had a great time, aside from the fact that Leif was a little fragile acting. We left earlier than we would have normally to spare everyone else from meltdowns.

Sunday we hosted our own BBQ for Leif's birthday. Hans BBQ'd pork spare ribs and 2 tri-tips. And when I say BBQ, I do have to note that we are talking the "traditional" BBQ that we are quite fond of. That means that the ribs and tri-tips are on the grill for 6 hours minimum with smoke from applewood and hickory over indirect heat. Have I said recently that I love my husband? I do, I love my husband.

I made a pasta salad, green salad, chipotle baked beans. We had appetizers of pita chips and artichoke jalapeno dip and some vegies and ranch. I made my mom's chocolate cake for Leif's birthday and it turned out spectacular. I have this "thing" where I cannot bake as well as my mom and it kills me. She makes a fantastic dessert, passes on the recipe and mine consistently pales in comparison. Pie comes in first place, chocolate cake a very near second.

For the FIRST time in my life, my chocolate cake was comparable to my moms. I HAVE achieved success. It was dark chocolate in appearance, not tan. It was dense, each layer did not rise above 2/3 of the cake pan and it rose evenly! And it was moist. I was thrilled. Success could not come at a better time than when I am cooking for friends. I had fun decorating the cake too. Pictures will come tomorrow. I am working on uploading them and sorting them.

The Sangria was also a hit. We ate, kids played in water (Leif LOVES the hose). Then the cake smushing began. Opened gifts, and everyone made their way home. We had a really nice time and Leif did as well! I AM still in denial however that my son is now over one.

No comments: