Wednesday, August 10, 2005

He's in!

I came in this morning to a voice mail message from the Montessori school. Leif is in! He starts Wednesday!

I am excited for him. I really think this will help Leif channel some of his energy and his "willful-ness". Sometimes he just gets so frustrated with being "redirected"... which usually doesn't work, so the redirection turns into "removed" that coincides with a meltdown. I was actually more confident about the toddler room at daycare as of yesterday when Leif and I went down to visit. Leif had a great time and I got to talk to the teacher more. I was feeling OK about things and transitioning him. Then the call came.

Hans is excited too, albeit a little more concerned. Part of the reason he really wanted to work out near me, which he now does, is his proximity to Leif. He wanted to be able to go and see him, which he now can. Except that at the Montessori school they don't encourage parents to visit. There are peepholes instead. I do understand that there is the need eventually for him to learn independence and be there all day, and that day is probably nearing, but it still feels a touch soon. But we will all learn and it will be a good thing. And if it doesn't work out, we aren't happy, we will move him back to daycare.

Our biggest disappointment is that there is only one spot and that Cate won't be joining Leif immediately. However, there is one child between she and Leif on the waitlist and the administrator assured me that things have really been changing around in that room and that it is possible that Cate will be offered a position soon as well. We are hoping.

I talked with Leif's daycare teacher a little about this. I really value her input and suggestions as she is a Montessori teacher. She said that Cate and Leif, while their interactions are adorable and they are such good buds, that they would probably benefit from being on their own to a certain degree. They tend to "gang" up on other kids and defend each other (ok, so Cate defends Leif...). But it isn't a bad idea that they each have their own transition times and an opportunity to meet and interact with other children on their own. And well she is right. I don't want Leif or Cate growing up dependent on the other, or feeling that there are expectations placed upon them with regards to the other.

Anyways! Leif has his 1 year doctor's appointment tomorrow. Then Friday we will take a break to go down to the school and I will spend about 1-2 hours there with him. Monday and Tuesday we will transition a little too and then Wednesday he will be there! Yay!

No comments: