Monday, June 09, 2008

Raising a bag lady

Since the day after my daughter was born we have known that she is a girl that wants what she wants. She is particular on her requests and vocal about it.

Skadi has established her favorites list:

Favorite teacher at daycare. (It only took five weeks to convince her someone else could care for her.)

Favorite book - 10 Little Ladybugs (And she was none too happy to find it in Leif's room this morning. She picked it up and marched it out - despite the fact that she uses his room as much as him.)

Favorite food - Mommy milk (I am starting to wonder if she will never wean.) After daycare today she had a Gerber "Cheetoh" in her mouth, when she eyed my chest, she reached up and scooped the "Cheetoh" out of her mouth (depositing it on the floor) and came over and lifted my shirt up. She is a different beast than my Leifer.

Favorite thing to do - go outside (opening the back door and closing it before she can toddle outside will cause a meltdown). She is an outside girl. Too bad for her she has this pale porcelain skin that is going to burn to a crisp. She will be forever coated in SPF 30.

Favorite activity once outside - the slide or eat sand.

Favorite thing to put in her mouth - rocks. (Oh so good on the teeth.)

Favorite song - Pat Your Tummy

Favorite activity inside - Stand in her wading pool (the dog's water bowl). This does mean however she gets to put on a new pair of shoes. See there is a reason why she has 14 pairs.

Second favorite activity inside - Have a tea party.

Favorite person to put her to bed - Daddy (make that only person allowed to put her to bed right now).

Favorite person to see at 2:30am - Mommy (make that the only acceptable person to see at 2:30am).

Favorite word - Mine (any surprise?)

Favorite sport - swimming, specifically gathering the balls up and putting them in the basket (parent-tot lesson game).

Favorite clothes - Dresses (ok, that might be mommy's insertion)

I thought Skadi needed a baby doll. I slaved over the decision until I finally actually went to Target to the doll aisle - who would have known? Going into a store as opposed to cruising aisles online? I have become a lazy shopper. If it isn't at Costco or Albertsons then I find it online.

I found too many actually. There were a ton of acceptable dolls. Kind of made me feel silly for writing that other post on my other blog. I labored over the decision avoiding the end of the aisle with the freaky motion sensing dolls that all giggled and coo'd when I got in front of them. Any wonder why there were still 10 out of 10 dolls there? No way in hell is one coming home with me. (And the other woman in the aisle agreed with me.) Sales tactic gone bad... don't actually make it respond in the store, wait until the doll gets home before revealing the obnoxious level.

I finally decided on a little baby doll in a cloth carry basinette with two bottles. I remember Leif's friend, C, had this one because his baby doll didn't have a cloth basinette with his dolly and this was a huge point of contention between the two friends.

I took the doll home and gave it to Skadi.

She looked at it, played a little (about 20 seconds), then threw the doll down and picked up the cloth basinette - tossed it over her shoulder and walked off.

She has not shown one iota of interest in the dolly. Only the cloth basinette. (As has the cat - he has adopted it as his bed.)

Oh and the pile of purses that were on my closet floor during the closet organization this past weekend? She couldn't get enough of them. She situated them (many at a time) on her shoulder as she headed out of the closet.

I have a girl who likes bags.

Baby dolls are still up in the air, but it isn't looking good for them.

No comments: