Monday, June 02, 2008

Getting back to the goals

So back about the New Year I decided that my goal for the year was to go through every room in my house and purge, organize, repair and replace. To make this daunting task not so unbearable, I decided to tackle one room a month. For the first two months this went quite well. The library was organized and still looks halfway decent. Leif's room has the storage options it needs and the guest bath (small and so lumped into the other rooms) is still organized as well.

Then March hit.

March was supposed to be Skadi's room.

And it was about 75% done. The remaining percentage was a consequence of her not living in her bedroom. Her dresser was in there, but her crib, changing pad, and pajamas were in our bedroom. Her toys were scattered between the living room and Leif's bedroom. She loves Leif's room and he doesn't mind her playing in there (yet). In fact, so far he prefers she play in there. There was this problem of the queen sized guest bed being in this room and no real place to put it other than to get rid of it.

Really, truth be told we are growing out of this house in a way. If my formal dining room could somehow be relocated and turned into a guest room... it would make a difference for our longevity in this house. But it can't be relocated and more storage won't just appear when I twitch my nose (I tried) and a real walk in pantry is for now just a dream. The kitchen that six years ago I thought I couldn't fill has reached its max. Oh and those looming apartment buildings won't just go away either.

Anyways, I ended up stopping short of finishing March and went straight to April which was to organize and clean up the yards. This was done to my satisfaction about 80% of the way. The remaining 20% I will just not say one word about because it will launch me into this little fit of sorts. Our yards have been well maintained since then due mostly in part to our hiring a lawn service to mow and trim.

May was going to be my Master Suite.

Then May was going to be my Master Closet and Master Bath.

Then "the summer" was finally deemed to be the Master Suite "month".

I have settled on this.

We finally had a weekend with no real major plans. We had friends cancel on a dinner party thanks to puking kids (on their end) - which I wanted absolutely no part of given our fragile nature this spring with viral crud. So instead of tackling food prep and guest readiness I worked on my goals.

My March goal is 95% complete. Skadi's crib is in her room. I have resigned myself to leaving the queen bed there. It makes her bedroom tiny, but truth be told, she doesn't spend time in there. And I would rather have the guest bed for that day when we do buy a new house and have a guest room (everyone I know tells me how comfortable this bed is and how well they sleep in it).

To finish off her room, I need to put up the foam flowers and ladybugs I bought to "girlify" the blue and green room. But that won't happen until she learns not to peel them off and eat them. And I need to go through the stack of outgrown clothes in the closet and box them up. I should also put the breastpump up and since I bought a nice, new ,sleek, travel oriented, "wasabi" colored, umbrella stroller (that should arrive any day now) put the big honking, broken latch Zooper either in the garage or the attic for storage. Once I get those things done, my March goal is finished (hopefully in June).

Since the crib was moved out of the Master Suite it gave me room to get things organized. It feels really good to return our bedroom to a room occupied by adults. Really good actually. As much as I love having my kids in our bedroom for their first year of life and I do believe it adds something to their security and well being, it is always nice to move back to having our own space and giving our children spaces of their own. It is a bittersweet step.

I cleaned out my closet and nearly every time I walk past it I have to stop and pat myself on the back. I have a list of organizational things to get in the next week to really make me happy about my closet. I am going to get some sweater boxes for the top shelf, some hooks to hold belts, purses and bags. I used the hanging sweater organizers I bought last November (and never installed) as shoe organizers for AB's shoes. I had tried to use normal sized hanging shoe organizers, but his shoes were too big. When I was trying to figure out where to hang the sweater organizers it hit me - they are the perfect size for his big honkin' shoes! I also need to buy a storage bench type thing for in there. AB suggested something with cubbies he can "stuff" his sweaters into. Well I have other plans. I can live with his desire to not hang up his jeans and to have them folded on a small table - but "stuffing" things in cubbies isn't going to work. Nice decorative boxes instead.

The one thing that I haven't done and I may or may not get to is purging clothes. While looking for hangers I did pull off a few things that I knew I would never wear ever again. And things that AB should not wear ever again. And put them in a stack for Goodwill. But I didn't go in depth down this path.

I also started on the Master bath and cleaning out the vanity. There I did purge. Old makeup, creams, gels, lotions... gone. And plans for new organizing bins for my counter tops. My house cleaner will love me.

My organizing bug didn't stop in the Master Suite... I did a couple drawers (the bottles and breast pump stuff ones), the fridge and my spice rack in the kitchen. Things that were bugging me.

Maybe the real accomplishment this weekend was getting AB to agree that my monthly goals are a good thing and even suggest that each room should be revisited every year.

Sunday evening I felt quite accomplished with myself.

No comments: