Monday, June 16, 2008

10 days

I am coming to terms with our pending trip to Alaska. "Coming to terms" sounds harsh and I don't intend it so. Really.

Truth be told and you guys will never guess this... I am a control freak. Yes, yes, I know... who would have ever known! (Yes, my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek.)

And I have actually had A LOT to say to my wonderful husband about what *I* want to do on vacation and how *I* want it to go. And he is amazingly accomodating and has pushed the topics on all fronts.

I have neurosed about the little things (like what my kids will eat and if there will be moose that Leif can see around) and stressed about the big ones (like my husband potentially being gone on a fishing charter for two nights while I was stuck in a remote cabin with the kids - like every single teen horror flick coming back to memory here).

As of this evening the itinerary is lined out, smoothed out and I can officially relax. I still might think my SIL and BIL are totally unprepared to take care of my kids and their son one evening that AB and I and my MIL are going on an evening fishing charter for King Salmon... And truly - this will be an artifact of my kids and in no way related to their abilities... but my kids don't like to go to sleep. At all. Anyways, truly, in the larger scheme of things? Worst case scenario (aside from broken bones) is that my kids don't go to sleep for them and are up all night until we get back about midnight. (Land of the midnight sun and all.)

It isn't like they have to get up and go to school the next day or anything. We will deal.

We arrive in Anchorage about midnight Thursday night/Friday morning.

Friday day AB wants to reconnect with an old friend for lunch (Kristadel has he e-mailed you yet? ) That afternoon a trip to the Anchorage zoo which holds very fond memories for AB and I as a couple when we were first dating. We visited the zoo and it was so dang cold we kept hiding out in the elephant house. And it stunk so bad, but it was so toasty. Finally the elephants decided to humor us with a game of toss the stick back and forth. They were apparently as bored as we were.

Saturday we are going to Portage to an wild animal refuge park and then to Seward for a wildlife cruise with my MIL.

Sunday spending the day with my FIL and his girlfriend. My FIL is very excited to take Leif trout fishing in the lake her house is on.

Monday to the cabin.

Tuesday... no plans during the day until we take care of my nephew while my SIL, BIL and MIL head out on their fishing charter that evening. I am thinking I *might* even get to pick up a book and read!! Maybe?

Wednesday... our fishing evening.

Thursday... prepare for the big 4th of July BBQ/party.

Friday... big 4th of July party.

Saturday... head home.

I have all sorts of surprises for the trip in my possession as well as the last arrival this afternoon - Leif's Hakunamatata Sigg cup with yellow strap. He loves it.

And now I need one.

Aside from the pain of packing where we will try to fit everything my Alaskan boy scout deems necessary into as little baggage as possible.

Ha. The headache has yet to come...

No comments: