Monday, June 02, 2008

Traveling with kids

To say that I am neurosing about our upcoming trip to Alaska would be an understatement.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if it weren't so far away?

We are leaving on a Thursday night after work and daycare. Getting on a plane at 7:50 pm and hoping the kids sleep. A quick layover in Seattle and then we arrive shortly after midnight in Alaska.

And it should still be light when we arrive.

We leave on July 5th mid-afternoon and get home early evening.

So not only do we have these long flights with two little ones (one more entertainable than the other), but we will likely have at least two car trips as well. Then there is the whole hanging at the cabin you can only get to by boat for 6 days.

I have started my collection of entertainment items. Items to pull out as "surprises".

First on my list (and that arrived today) are these, auto bingo cards:


Did you have these when you were a kid? I did and loved them. I am hoping it will encourage some looking out the windows instead of insisting on Lion The King. Though I have to admit - I am looking at the cards and wondering how many cats, churches, fire engines and police cars we will see in remote Alaska... well at least Leif will like sliding the windows open and closed - I always did.

The next item would be Color Wonder. Actually I have no idea what these are, but will be picking them up at Target this week on recommendation from a number of women from my discussion board.

I have an animal sticker book to pull out from hiding.

And I am also thinking about a paper airplane book.... or other type of book where you build the paper items into some cool things to play with.

Next on the list (which I am trying to convince my husband is a necessity) is a Leapster or VSmile handheld game. He is skeptical, I am thinking it is better than endless DVDs.

For Skadi? So far my list is Goldfish and fruit snacks. And for the flight I might resort to Benadryl. Just might...

Enlighten me. Share with me.

What are your travel secrets with kids? And what items would you buy to pull out at those "I'm bored" moments?

No comments: