Friday, May 26, 2006

Now THIS is a Friday

Knowing I don't have to go back to work for a whole 9 days? That's a Friday! Ok, so I will be out here for a few things next week, but I can deal. So if I am not around next week, that is why. Or I could be around lots... escaping from my grandmother!

So there is a psycho woman who sees spiders in my building. She is relatively young, younger than me at least. She was hired as a technician into my former group. There was hesitation on the part of the manager, but the group members rallied for her hire. It probably helped that she was female and there is a serious lack of females in the group... and an overabundance of single men.

Over the last few months the group has seen a different side of her than the cheery, friendly blonde that they met at the interview. She appears to have an evil streak. (And I am loving hearing these stories from the people I still work with in this group!) I am not the type of person to go to my manager, like ever. If I go to my manager, I really need to and it is usually overdue. Psycho is the opposite. Not a day goes by (I hear) that she doesn't march into his office ranting about something.

Her cubicle is in my building, just down the hall and around the corner from my office. My office is also located right next to the restroom. So I see lots of her. She stops by regularly to bitch about things that, not being in her group, I have no idea what she is talking about. She often bitches about my close friend and co-PI. Appears Psycho has not figured it out that C and I spend a lot of time together.

The latest psycho-ness emanates from invisible spiders. Yes, we are in an old building, an old library in fact. It has its own character, charm and appeal as well as freaky stuff. You never know what you will find in any room. I have, in my office, two very coveted chairs. Old leather library chairs that make my office the preferred meeting place for small meetings. I will *never* surrender them either. The building is plagued by bugs, mice and we also enjoy a large number of rabbits on the property, some rumored to have 3 ears. I have never seen the elusive 3-eared variety. Rumor is, 3 ears caused by radiation exposure and then they die off quickly due to radiation poisoning. (I think this is one of those student rumors...) The bugs and mice evidently thrive on the radiation...

Psycho stopped by my office yesterday to explain what the loud "thumps" I might be hearing coming from the restroom are when she is in there. No, apparently she is not a klutz in the restroom. It is just severely occupied by spiders, which she is overly fearful of and her immediate and natural response is a "wham" to kill them. And so this is apparently what is going on in the restroom. You can imagine my very blank look at her as she tells me this. I am not impressed, nor have I seen this abundance of spiders. (Nor any remnants of spiders post wham.)

True to her word, everytime she enters or leaves the restroom yesterday and today I am startled by a large "wham" on the wall separating my office from the restroom and small things falling off my wall. I have a ruptured supercritical fluid gasket hanging up as a trophy of survival, a few conference badges hanging on the edge of my white board and my dry erase markers fall. So these aren't major things, nothing that will break, but annoying nonetheless. The walls are ultra-thin, but still, come on. Cut the crap.

I have an idea of what is going on... she is psycho, she doesn't like her office being in the building (she works in a number of buildings that are a mile or so drive from here) and is looking for a reason to move, she is psycho, she is looking for something new to complain about since she has complained about *everything* else, she is psycho...

Frankly, I don't get it and am more than annoyed. The next time it happens my plan is to stop her in the hall, hand her the phone number and e-mail address for the building manager to deal with the "spiders". Any "pest control" must be done through building management. Chemical permits are even required for canned air here. If it continues beyond that, I am contacting her manager and likely HR.

This place apparently breeds psychos along with the three eared rabbits.

No comments: