Thursday, May 25, 2006

Mid-May Update

This week has been busy and on the difficult side. I am taking all of next week off since my grandmother arrives Saturday. Slowly but surely though, things have crept into my calendar and so it appears I will be doing some running back and forth between work and spending time with my grandmother.

My first difficulty is my teeth. I talked previously about my need for new bridges. As of 9 days ago I was 90% done with that process. I was waiting for my permanent bridges to be made when I was stricken with horrible pain on one side of my mouth, where lots of work had been done in prepping for these bridges. I was ushered quickly back into the dentists office yesterday without an appointment. I walked in and sat down with 5 other patients and before I could open a magazine I was called back amidst glares from the other patients in waiting. I felt a little bad about this, but then thought about the fact that I had just forked over $3500 out of pocket and my insurance forked out $3K... they better see me with gusto when I am having pain!

Turns out that one of the nerves has decided to die. Which means that before my permanent bridges can be placed I have to have a root canal. For the first time ever, it was a relief to hear these words. No, I am not masochistic. It meant that the pain was not in my head and that there was a path to relief.

So today I am cancelling two meetings as I just found out that I can be squeezed in this morning for at the minimum pain relief that will last through the weekend until my appointment on Tuesday, or a root canal depending on how the dentists schedule goes. (I am hoping for the later.) I swear though, now my psychosomatic symptoms set in and every tooth in my jaw is aching. I have this huge fear of getting the one root canal, getting the permanent bridge and having one (or more) of the other three nerves fail, requiring removal of the permanent bridge, remaking the permanent bridge (another $3K) and another root canal. I told AB this morning I would really just prefer they do root canals on all 4 teeth at this point. Ok... I really am not masochistic. Really.

-------------------------

Leif will be moving up to the next classroom on June 12th. I have been having real hesitations with this. He is one of the youngest in his class, his teacher is hesitant, but the toddler coordinator and the head teacher believe he is more than ready to make the transition with "the older kids", instead of waiting until the end of the summer with the "younger kids". A huge part of me wants him to just stay little as long as possible. Let's not push him.

I was really concerned recently about this because in transitioning, he was not doing well. He would scream when entering the new room, try to run out and cry. We didn't push it and AB and I were ready to go tell the toddler coordinator that we don't want him moving up until his birthday, irregardless of the fact that his little friend "needs" him there, or his apparent readiness to the coordinator.

Then yesterday he turned a corner. He went for a visit next door and stayed willingly. He played, said bye to daddy and hung out. At the end of the day AB found out that he actually stayed for the whole morning. He had snack in the "big kids" room. Then he went outside with them and his regular class for recess. Then when they called the kids in, Leif went into the "big kids" class and stayed the rest of the morning instead of going in with his own class. The teachers followed his lead.

So I guess maybe he is ready. *sob* They suggested yesterday to AB that I bring him into the older kids room this morning. I could not do it. I walked him into his regular room where everyone was happy to see him. I cannot drop him off in a room with 3 year olds yet. Once the "big kids" evacuate to their next higher room, ok. But until then, they can be responsible for taking him over to visit!

--------------------------

Work is going good. I had worries a few weeks ago that I was going to be short on work. Not the case. In fact, I am more paranoid about being out this coming week and how am I ever going to catch up. I am dealing with the contracts department on three different projects and they are making me crazy. I am trying to set up a university contract, trying to obtain services from an offsite company, and trying to do a large purchase req. All of these things need to be done soon and I am seeing the minutes tick away before Friday 5pm. (Right now I am pending word back on all three...)

Aside from that I have a paper to write and a charge code to charge to for that. (A rarity at the lab.) A proposal to start on, the call is coming out next week, and three tasks to continue managing. Lack of work? Not me.

Oh and on top of that I am finalizing my session for an upcoming conference. I was nearly giddy this morning when I found out that my last hold-out invited talk FINALLY submitted his abstract. He missed the deadline, but apparently was able to get it to the conference chair to be entered manually. I was thrilled because IMO, he was one of my benchmark talks. An anchoring point to the session, I suppose. My session is now complete and just needs finalizing.

Busy? That would be me.

No comments: