Friday, May 05, 2006

Finally a Friday

This week has been long, probably because it has been emotionally draining. I have worked hard on a few projects, which is good. They had been two projects that had fallen on the back burners lately. I was doing the bare minimum to get by each week. Now that I have had one other task cancelled and my hours forced back on another thanks to the client not sending samples, it gave me an opportunity to catch up on these two.

I have been working on getting my travel approved to the conference in June. That has been a bear. I cannot believe the restrictions put on us by my directorate. I have been told by more than a few people that "this is just specific to your directorate, not the others". Well sorry, but here is where I reside. It really is making me insane that I was invited to chair a section of a conference, I will present a poster there, yet I can't be relied upon to charge projects appropriately for my time and travel. One of the main problems is that one of my projects does not allow for travel. At all. As part of our contract with the client - they travel to us. So my PM offered to cover 50% of my time at the conference. Wow! Thanks! Of course it appears that is "illegal", even though the conference is related to this topic, the travel accounting has to reflect the time charged. Give me an f'ing break.

Should it really be so difficult for me to go and bring recognition to my company by chairing a section and presenting research? No, it shouldn't.

One of my friends recently proposed (literally) here that all senior management who implement these rules should be required to sit down one day and see how it impacts our day and our careers. This is one situation where it is just plain ridiculous.

I had a meeting with my mentor today whereby he bashed the whole above situation with me and felt somewhat sorry to have put me in a position by recommending I contact a conference chair, when now, I may have to use vacation time and travel on my own dime... with a husband on unemployment. Oh well, I think it will eventually work itself out.

One thing that made me beam today during my mentor meeting was when he was raving about my proposal. I was very near embarrassed that he went on and on so much about it. He told me that I sold him and he was ready to dole out the cash (despite the fact that he doesn't have cash to dole out). I was really pleased that he liked it so much. Early on in the conversation he even asked me who else helped me write it. When I said no one, he suggested if this job doesn't work out I seek a job in technical writing... he doesn't know how seriously I am considering his words...

------------------------------

AB is home. He was doing some job hunting today, after a walk to the local Starbucks of course. There is one job he is really excited about and we are hoping he can get a referral for. He is feeling pretty sure that he won't be unemployed for long and I hope this is the case.

We don't have much planned for the weekend. Just prepping for house guests next week. I am looking forwart to my mom and stepdad getting here. We have lots planned and I am anxious for Leif to interact with them. We have plenty of wine tasting to do both locally and a trip to Walla Walla for a day of wine tasting and wandering around. AB and my stepdad are golfing at least one day.

Have a super weekend!

No comments: