Monday, May 01, 2006

A very productive weekend

Saturday was the last swimming lesson, Leif and I enjoyed that. I am frighteningly shocked at the kid's lack of fear. After the lesson, as usual, we hung out in the pool. A few times Leif was just going to head off swimming without me if my grip weren't so good. He found a kick board abandoned by another child on the side of the pool. He then decided he wanted to jump into the pool with the kickboard. I didn't realize his intentions until he was actually jumping. Kickboard hit me on the head, but no harm done. But he did strike panic into my heart there for a second (I am sure it will not be the last time).

I am still amazed with how much I managed to accomplish this weekend. Sunday Leif and I went to Target to get all the things I forgot about the weekend before. While there Leif found a perfect plastic "shobel" and pail. He showed everyone we walked past his new shobel.

We went to Lowes where I unenthusiastically picked through their plants. No veggie plants for some reason, so I picked out the two rose bushes I wanted ($16.99 and $19.99) and some flowers for my pots. After finding out the roses I picked out were not actually the prices they were advertised and that the roses that were *that* price were all sold out... I bought them anyways for twice the price because my patch was tilled and I didn't want to haul Leif around searching for roses. We went home for Leif's nap where for two days in a row, I put him down for a nap without driving him around. It is possible. I must overcome the laziness. I can't let my family visiting this month think I am a slacker.

With Leif asleep, AB studying, I ran to Home Depot where I picked up veggie plants and new work gloves for me. When I got home AB whined that I didn't get him new work gloves, but took a break from studying and proceeded to help me lay down my garden fabric anyway. While Leif slept I planted the two rose bushes, and most of the veggies. I also put up a small fence around the vegetable garden to keep Leif from plucking my unsuspecting plants from their warm homes. (I know my son far too well.)

Leif got up and after a snack was excited to "howp mommy shobel". He was so much help! (Said with my tongue only halfway in my cheek.) He was super at carrying the flower pots to the porch for planting and really, really good at watering. We planted strawberries in a small patch, planted our greens (spinach, cress and swiss chard) and two pots of flowers for the front porch.

Now if we could just cure whatever ails our backyard grass. We have a large patch (15x10 feet) that just dies. Every freaking year. It gets plenty of water, the ground is moist, but the grass just dies. So AB slaves over it and by the end of the year it looks as good as the rest of the yard. Just in time to go dormant until the struggle next year.

I think this year will be much easier to care for my gardens. Leif loves being "owside" and is a little more independent with his play. I still want to be outside watching him and this will give me the time I need to weed. And watering? Something I so don't need to do. Leif is obsessed with the hose. (Aren't all boys?)

No comments: