Wednesday, May 10, 2006

A few days of vacation

I am heading out in a few hours to pick up my mom and stepdad at the airport. Consequentally, I am worthless at work as I watch the minutes tick by. I have a few things to get done, and I will get to them. On that list is sitting down with my cpu and installing a second hard drive. I am technically inclined, but opening up my work pc storing all my data is not something I look forward to doing.

So instead... my favorite topic... Leif!

Leif will be 2 at the end of July and I can't believe how the time is flying by. It is truly amazing and frightening. I fear I am going to turn around and he will be 22. Last night at book club we reaffirmed that one of the most important tasks we all have at hand is to preserve our history. The history of our families, our accomplishments, and even mundane details are important because of the hints into what day to day life was like. These are the things you don't find in history books. (This discussion vindicated me that my long drowning on posts about stupid things are OK!! Just what you wanted to hear right?)

I go to bed many nights after Leif has done funny things, or said funny things and think "I need to remember to write that down". Anywhere, his baby book, the journal I just started for him, here... wherever. I need to write it down.

So here are some:

Leif, your favorite food at 21.5 months is macaroni and cheese. You call it "and cheese" and get so excited when it is put before you. You were not fooled however, when I attempted to serve you "broccoli AND CHEESE!" the other day. I have guilt about feeding you this... so much... but when it is one of the very few things you will eat, I will do it. Of course it is accompanied with vegetables, which you look at with complete disgust, unless they are canned green beans or corn. You inherited my extreme pickiness, although you wouldn't know now how picky I used to be. I overcame it and I keep telling Daddy you will too. Until then, macaroni and cheese or Campbell's MegaNoodles it is.

Speaking of MegaNoodles... that was last nights dinner after you snubbed pepperoni pizza. (You weird, weird little boy.) You cracked us up at the dinner table as you grabbed a noodle and went "zzzzzz" and flew the noodle around your head and finally landing in your own mouth where you would smile and go "mmmm!" Of course, this was not just a one time event. Nope, you did this with every.single.noodle in your bowl. And mommy still found it funny at the end. I will always be your biggest fan - though I am sure Daddy will give me a run for that title.

You are speaking a lot more lately. You still love "owside" and insist every evening that "we walk Winwe". You just adore Winny and she is so good with you. It scares me as I see the age in her eyes. She is 7 years old this month. Right now she is shedding horribly and apparently the girl that trims her is the preferred dog groomer of the area, because she couldn't get her in for 3 weeks. So we have another 2 weeks left whereby you can return the clumps of Winny hair (after they fall off her) back to Winny. When she isn't around you bring them to me and tell me they are "Winwe's".

Speaking of bringing me things... Gahh! I am so the mother of a little boy. Yesterday I was trying to get things ready for my book club meeting and you were wandering in and out of the house. You discovered bugs on the ground - but as you will tell everyone, bugs are really "bees". No dear, they aren't bees, they are just creepy crawly bugs. You kept bringing me in "bees" and putting them into my hand. I tried to explain that they were "rolly poleys", to which you looked at me sternly and said, "bees". Then went to fetch more. I washed my hands 10 times over thanks to you bringing me "bees".

Last night when people started arriving I was shocked to see my extremely extroverted little boy start clinging to my leg and hiding behind me. You became my shy little boy so quickly. Your personality never ceases to amaze me.

You love your stuffed rabbit that you named "Mouse". But starting two nights ago it has become increasingly important to you to have your stuffed Puppy and Lion when going to bed. I took a picture of you the other night on daddy's lab clutching puppy, lion, and Mouse, while still holding your baba (bottle) in your mouth and rubbing your blanket. Daddy was only slightly annoyed that you were so observant to notice whenever you dropped anything. He spent much of the night picking up stuffed animals.

Your favorite book right now is Sweet Dreams Mimi. When I bought this book I never envisioned it would become your favorite. It is about a little girl monkey whose mommy plants sweet images in her head every night before bed so she has good dreams. You love this book and ask for it repeatedly, "Mimi Mimi". Daddy and I always start with the books we enjoy reading first "Bear Snores On", "Kiss Goodnight", "The Bedtime Book", etc. knowing that you will be clamoring for Mimi soon and that once on Mimi, we will never get to read anything else.

Grandma and grandpa arrive today and I am so curious to see how you do with them. The past few days whenever I have been on the computer you run into the library and scream "gam-ma and cats!" Then you are so disappointed with grandma and the cats aren't on the computer. Grandma holds the cats up to the webcam to say hi. Will you know grandma in person? Will you know grandma without the cats? I sure hope you do. That would be the best Mother's Day present for grandma ever.

A few of your favorite things annoy the crap out of mommy and daddy, but because you love them so, we will replay them, over and over and over. One of those is the about 3 minute clip on the Elmo movie about washing a horse. You really like horses (and mice and fish), but this clip is like your favorite thing on TV. We play it over and over for you. I don't know what will happen when we take the movie back to the rental store on Friday... Daddy swears up and down we will not buy it. On your Baby Einstein videos you like the horse puppet particularly. There is one clip on Numbers Nursery where the horse eats a flower. You laugh and laugh about this as though it is the most hilarious thing ever. Another funny thing is when cookie monster eats things on Sesame Street. Nemo has been put aside for a little while in favor of some of the other movies... thank you. You really enjoy The Jungle Book and mommy is forever thankful to have a copy! (Sarah!) I crack up watching you dance to Bear Necessities and love that you try to sing the King Louie song.

Leif we love you so much and are so proud of the big boy you are growing into.

No comments: