Monday, June 12, 2006

A nice weekend

This past weekend we reveled in not having anyone visiting! We love it when people come visit, we really do. But after awhile it just gets tiring hosting people (my grandma) in your own house. So this weekend was just us.

We were going to venture out to dinner on Friday with Leif given how good he was in Spokane the week before. I was excited for this new adventure throughout the week, then the day came and getting take out Mexican just sounded a whole lot easier.

Saturday we worked on cleaning the house, picking cherries and just hanging out. After nap we went to Target where among other things (a new pool and water shoes) Leif got a bike horn for his running stroller. This was from Jo's recommendation a few days ago to "trick out" his stroller. It is true, with kids, you will never be more joyous, or more embarrassed.

Leif "needed" the bike horn I tossed into the cart at Target. Much to my dismay within second of holding it in his grubby little hands he had figured out the honk mechanism. *sigh* Yes, through the entire Target shopping trip we honked multiple times at every passerby. (And Target is a big Saturday afternoon hangout apparently.) To the people he scared, sorry. To the family that glared and sneered at us, f-off. You had two kids standing there, they were 2 at some point. Tell me really that you would have really rather listened to him wail at the top of his lungs about not having the horn than the "honk honk" you were forced to endure.

We made it through Target and headed to K&V's house for dinner with them, their parents and their neighbors A&M. We had a really nice time. Leif and C are to the point where they don't just play along by themselves side by side, they interact. And the two of them together are quite the whirlwind of energy, laughs and (unfortunately) destruction. (Still sorry about the wallpaper border...)

Sunday we went for a hike up a local hill and then to the playground. Leif loves the slides and got hooked on the "big kids" slides. However, we did discover that twirly slides are too confusing for him, not to mention frightening for helpless mom standing on the sidelines. Leif was a horrible crank on Sunday and so after getting him down for a nap we resolved to not wake him. Usually we take Dr. Sears and daycares advice and not let him sleep beyond 3pm. We figured he needed the sleep. He got up refreshed at 3:30pm and sat quietly for the webcam with grandma. It is usually not in Leif's nature to be so silent during webcam.

Last night, AB made a great dinner. Filets with a potato gallette and swiss chard. Not too bad for you until the Swiss chard... AB cooked it with mushrooms in bacon grease. Ok, delish, but so, so bad.

Leif went down to sleep 15 minutes earlier than normal, very willingly, nearly begging for bed. However, I was not rewarded with any sleeping in. Instead he was up at 5:15am. Grrr.

This morning was really hard. Leif moved up to his new room and was not happy about being dropped off in his new room. After we found his cubby with his picture attached, it dawned on him what was going on. Suddenly his eyes filled with tears and he started screaming "No WAY, No WAY!" I got him calmed down as we walked around the room, he went and willingly put his lunch away and helped me put his diapers away. Then the "no ways" started again. We looked at all the "work" around the room. (I was wishing *I* could stay and play.) Then Miss Kaitlynn arrived and I worked on my exit. And worked some more. Leif sobbed and sobbed. Finally I pulled away and left (tears in my own eyes). I heard him sobbing down the hall as I left.

His teacher called me during outside play to let me know that he did calm down and was doing fine. So that helps.

I am also kicking myself for not getting his TumbleBus registration in for today. I am sure it didn't help that a number of kids from his class were preregistered for TumbleBus. (A local gymnastics company gutted a bus, filled it with mats and a balance beam and brings it to the school. The kids pay to go out to the bus, parked in the parking lot, with their teacher for 30 minutes, once a week.) Yes, I suck. He will go next week. Grandma even offered to pay for it for him. Which is totally unnecessary, but appreciated.

So that's our weekend in review. Oh yes, I am reading the best book ever! I was going to finish Wicked, but left it in my office this past weekend. V's mom brought me The Birth House upon request. I am already nearly 100 pages through and loving it. It is a fantastic read so far and exactly my favorite genre.

No comments: