Friday, June 09, 2006

Mocha Friday

Sleeping in until 6am, pure bliss. Of course that also means I didn't run. I was just so tired, I really needed that extra half hour after the last week of early wakings.

I know it is counterintuitive, but I swear the reason Leif slept in was that I put him to bed 15 minutes earlier. I hate having less time with him in the evening, but when he is up early and falls asleep on the way in to daycare, he is sleep deprived. So last night I was insistent that we start the bedtime routine 15 minutes earlier. Sure enough, he fell asleep after his bottle like he always does. In his crib, awake and pulls the blanket up over his face, then within seconds he is out. Part of me is tempted to push bedtime back another 15 minutes tonight and see what happens...

--------------------------

So Wicked... is off. Darn. Ticket sales opened today to the general public and V found out that there were apparently only scattered individual seats available for its entire stay in Seattle. Sucks. Next time around I guess.

---------------------------

AB and I have been working on counting with Leif. 1-2-3 and sometimes up to 5. He hasn't seemed interested and looks at us like he is bored. Or just humors us in squealing "two three!" Last night Leif was done with dinner and I was letting him out of the booster seat. It was taking me a few minutes to pick the macaroni off of him and all. He is jabbering along like usual, he is always jabbering... then I realize what he is saying... "4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, TEN!"

AB and I look at each other with stunned looks on our face! Then we both say, "he just counted to 10!" Of course he jumps down and is then off and running. We were trying to get him to do it again, but the stinker refused and teased us by just repeating "7" over and over and over.

This is typical Leif. We work on something with him, he sits and smiles and we decide he just isn't getting it, we are pushing him too hard or whatever. Then when you are least expecting it, whatever it is pops up again and he shows mastery. I am quite sure he gets a huge kick out of this...

---------------------------

Work baby showers really should be banned. I just got back from one and it was misery. Part of that was that the mom just struck me as the most miserable, discontent, unhappy mom-to-be that I have ever seen. She was my admin for like 2 months 1.5 years ago, then I switched groups. She works in the building next to me and I see her on occasion. But in no way, is our relationship one that constitutes being invited to her shower. (I didn't even know she was pregnant until last month... and she is now 33 weeks along.)

The biggest problem with work showers is that you feel obligated to go. Because everyone will see you sitting in your office on their way to the conference room for lunch. (Especially when your office is in front of the dang conference room.)

I bought "The Going to Bed Book" by Boynton for her. The big lap one, not the little one. Leif loves that book still. I was a little on the cheap side, I would normally at least buy a pair of Robeez for the baby. But with AB being out of work, my not really knowing her, I just couldn't fork out the dough.

Ok, I normally wouldn't whine so much about a baby shower... but when the mom is as ungrateful and inconvenienced as this one was, well it was a waste of my time. She is having a little girl and each time she opened something pink, she cringed, mock gagged and said, "you put a receipt in here didn't you?" Apparently she already has PLENTY of pink clothes. Well fine.

The best part of the shower was sitting back with my cynical coworker Mary, who has something to say on every topic and provided a running commentary. I nearly died laughing when she asked me how soon we could es-cap-ay from here. Evidently years of Nemo leaves scars that change your vocabulary forever.

Oh then there was one of my former students who undeservingly weasled into a permanent position here. Apparently she just doesn't realize how really rude it is to ask someone if they are pregnant. Or maybe she does now when she had to cover it with "I just figured you would be trying for another now with your son nearly 2 and you in your late-30's". Nice attempt at a cover, but 34 hardly qualifies as "late 30's". Open mouth insert foot twice in two sentences? I would say that has to be a record, but my friend J can do better - he tells me that it just gets to a point where it tastes good there.

-------------------------

I dropped Leif at daycare this morning. His last day in his room. I usually drop him off with his regular teacher Sufia. But Sufia is gone for these last couple days and Kaitlynn was there subbing. She was a little sour about having had to be in at 6am as I am sure she was out partying it up last night. (I really do adore her.) For the first time so far, Leif went running in thrilled. Ran in to Kaitlynn and jumped into her arms and laid his head on her shoulder. He hardly paid attention as I left and I had to force a kiss.

No bitterness, seriously. It means so much to me that he adores Kaitlynn since he spends the entire day with her and she will be his teacher for the next year as well. I am quite convinced Leif has a major crush on her.

No comments: