Wednesday, June 14, 2006

How about a little sand in your ear?

Apparently Leif wasn't asked. Or if he was he didn't intelligently respond "no thank you".

His teacher called this morning to let me know that another child threw sand at Leif and it went in his ear, deep. They are not allowed to put anything into the child's ear and so therefore she called me. And I called the nurse. And the nurse left a message for me while I was in a meeting. And I called her back.

The verdict is to irrigate with a 50:50 mix of water and H2O2. And she suggested we do it because it will probably go a whole lot better if we tackle this than if we bring him in to have it done "since he IS a two year old". Lovely.

--------------------

So the drop off went a little better this morning. Only in the fact though, that Leif was not screaming when I left. We went in and Leif went running straight to his old room. I told him no, we are going to your new room. He started with the "no, no" again and so we went off to the side to talk a little (as much as you can talk to a nearly 2 year old) about that we will be going into the new room and his friends are all arriving. About then Miss Michelle walks by and asks him what is going on. Leif has a crush on Miss Michelle and I really think the feeling is mutual.

Wonderful Miss Michelle drops everything and suggests that they go out and feed the rabbits. Leif is thrilled by this prospect and is a little disappointed when I don't join them, but he walks off with thoughts of bunnies in his head.

This is something that irritates me about his two new teachers. The room Leif is in, has the worst reputation in the entire school. Complaints of "it's too quiet" and "the teachers lack personality in there" are all around. We don't have a choice of rooms and for the 2-3 year olds, this is it. We aren't dissatisfied enough to leave, we still love the progran, but what is really starting to bug me (after a whole 3 days) is that when I walk in the two teachers who are there (not Miss Kaitlyn, Leif's teacher, she isn't in when we drop off most of the time), say nothing. No "HI Leif, how are you!" or "would you like to work on this over here". Nothing. They stand and look, with blank stares on their faces.

I told AB this morning after this drop of that I am speaking to the toddler coordinator about this. The two teachers are not making any effort to engage Leif when he walks into the room. No wonder he doesn't want to be there. I wouldn't either. AB encouraged me first to give it a full week. If come Monday, things are still going bad, to go to the head teacher and talk to her about it. If things still don't improve then go to the toddler coordinator. He is probably right, but I guess I am just used to more. And I frankly don't care that they are "shy" people. I am a shy person too. You compensate, you overcome it, you are in charge of people's children, convince us that you actually might like the kids.

No comments: