Friday, January 20, 2006

TGIF!

It is so hard to be productive on Fridays. I got in this morning and after spending $150 on Pottery Barn clearance items I ran to a meeting for 30 minutes. The rest of my day is thankfully open. I have e-mailed my mentor, who I saw running through the halls, and asked for 5-10 minutes of his time while he is here and not in DC. I have a lunch scheduled with a former student of mine who is home visiting family at 11:45. Other than that, I have a blissfully open day!

I am excited to see my former student. She worked with me for two summers while she was an undergrad on that one really awful project I was hired onto. Then she graduated a year and a half ago and applied to and is attending a top tier school studying biostatistics. I thoroughly enjoyed writing letters of recommendation for her, not only because she is an exceptionally hard worker and deserves this prestige associated with attending a top tier school. But I also enjoyed simply writing a letter to a top tier school knowing that oftentimes letters of recommendation make or break a student. Which meant someone, at a top tier school, was actually paying attention to what I was saying!

I graduated from a small, state school, the University of Nevada at Reno. Which has the number one grad program for chemistry for schools of comparable size. But I would still classify it probably as a third tier program. Very often people's last resort, or the one that students apply to who really intend on spending the winters skiing or snowboarding at Tahoe as opposed to actually doing research. I often felt as though my research and contributions to the field were minimized because of the school I attended. But truth be told, I chose to go there, I had other options. I loved my time there, I had a great grad school experience and happened into a great position now. No regrets on my part. But some of that prestige is still lingering in my mind, a kind of "what if" type of thing along with a desire to prove myself as capable despite the fact my grad experience may be viewed by some as sub-par.

Ok, rambling or what.

AB has to be home on time tonight from work because I have a haircut appointment. I know it is the start of his busy time at work and so this is kind of a hassle. But darn it, he hasn't been home before 7pm since Monday.

Tomorrow Leif has swimming (and AB will work). I hope Leif has as good of a time this week as he did last week. Afterwards V and I are going to a used kid's clothing store. Leif is out of his two generously sized 12 month size pants and needs more pants. Yet, I also hate to, at this point, buy him pants. Before we know it, it will be spring and pants will be put away.

Sunday we have a dog walking date with some friends and their 14 month old son. Aside from that, we don't have many plans. The Christmas gear needs to go in the attic. Although knowing that I just ordered clearance Christmas goods from Pottery Barn just might waylay that. I know AB would be horribly disappointed if I didn't push him into the attic to heist goods up for storage. He was rolling his eyes when I mentioned it the other day.

So major score at Pottery Barn online sale today that I am so excited about. I really, really wanted this. It would look so good with the new buffet/hutch. For a room that yes, I don't even have a dining room table for yet. So OK, moving on. I bought these instead. Two of them for our library. I have been looking for more shelving for the library for some time now. But everything I like that I find, AB says, "The price is outrageous, I can build that for 1/4 the cost." End of story. And well, usually he is right. He *could* build it for 1/4 the cost, BUT he is too busy. So instead our library just stays cluttered with too many books and pictures and stuff, and we continue to complain about it. But not for long! Even AB agreed that there is no way he could make them for $49 each AND it be worth his time. Next thing I need for the library will be a nice big comfy chaisse, chair and ottoman or loveseat. Then that room just needs to be painted and will be done for the most part. (Of course except for my desire to relocate the computer to that room with a new computer desk so that as Leif gets older he can play on the computer within view.)

Well I am off to meet my student. Have a terrific weekend everyone!

No comments: