Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Getting past New Years

The holidays were nice this year. We went to Alaska, as mentioned previously. The main goal was to see AB's aging grandparents and let them see their great grandson. In this effort, others decided to stay in Alaska that were going to leave and others yet flew to Alaska. So we ended up having a nice family Christmas in Alaska with most of AB's family.

We spent some time in Anchorage, then some time at my MIL's cabin, and then in Anchorage again. My inlaws are now divorced after 30-some years of marraige. Coming from a divorced family I find this less of a challenge logistically than AB's family I believe. To me, splitting time with family is a fact of life. AB's family hasn't broached this yet and in fact, both my MIL and FIL were around the entire time. My FIL even spent the few days at the cabin with us all. It was nice to have everyone in one spot, less trouble for hauling Leif around. But it isn't something that we expect to be maintained in the future and to a certain degree AB and I feel bad to have put the family in this position by making the decision to go to Alaska for the holidays.

All in all we had a nice time. We both enjoy Alaska, AB a little more than me likely. However, part of that is his growing up there. We succeeded for the most part at keeping Leif on a reasonable schedule. Leif succeeded in charming everyone up there and worked especially hard on his aunt Tara - not that he needed to work hard on her, she was pretty receptive. We enjoyed the time with AB's brother and his wife as well, we always enjoy hanging out with them. There was, of course, the requisite drama, but we survived.

----------------------------

I spent about a week off at home with Leif while AB worked after Christmas. I loved the time. Leif and I hung out and picked up the house, got a lot of errands done. I cooked dinner (*shock*). (Those who know me are probably surprised to hear that this is a shocker, I love to cook and am ashamed at how my daily cooking duties have taken a back seat.)

Let's see, Leif has expressed a love for canned (ick) green beans. Twice now he has eaten an entire can by himself. The second time he even tried to drink the "juice". Ick. So there is one vegetable that I do not have to hide.

I bought and received my buffet. It is in the house, loaded up. Will put it in the next picture post. Merry Christmas to us!

Leif's language skills are moving along. He surprises us daily with repeating new words. In addition to the old stand bys he knows baby, bye-bye, cookie (courtesy of my homemade, stellar recipe triple chocolate chip cookies), dog, done, and his favorite right now?? Daddy.

We were home together and he pointed to the fall pictures at the pumpkin patch and repeated "daddy daddy!" I said, "yes, that's daddy. Who is this?" Pointing at myself in the picture. Leif looks at me, is quiet, then points back at AB and again exclaims "daddy daddy!"

---------------------------

Resolution time

I rarely make meaningful resolutions. This year I resolve to make meaningful resolutions.

Resolution 1 - Get out with the dog every morning.
Reality Resolution 1 - Get out with the dog every morning that Leif appears that he will be out like a light until at least 6:30am.

Resolution 2 - Start bleaching my teeth, floss everyday and brush twice a day in preparation for the new bridges.
Reality Resolution 2 - This shouldn't be hard to do, plus, I *have* to do it.

Resolution 3 - Get and stay out of credit card debt, all extra cash each month goes on the cards until they are gone.
Reality Resolution 3 - Come on NM, you guys make good money, WHY are you still carrying credit card debt! Snap into shape, NOW!

Resolution 4 - Pending successful outcome of resolution 3, but a camp trailer.
Reality Resolution 4 - Buy a camp trailer no matter the outcome of resolution 3. (Since when does purchasing something have to be a resolution?)

Resolution 5 - All those little jobs around the house? They aren't going to get done, hire a handyman or contractor to do them.
Reality Resolution 5 - Pending successful outcome of resolution 3, convince AB it is OK to hire a handyman or carpenter to do the little jobs that need to be done.

No comments: