Monday, January 30, 2006

Fish don't wear shoes

Really, they don't.

Lesson #378 of when Leif is quiet he is up to no good. At 7:30am I was fishing one pair of Robeez out of the fish tank. Only one had sank and was perched partially on a fake plant and rock formation. The other was floating. As my mom said, "this is probably only the start of the things that will go into the fish tank". Now, why he couldn't have picked say a plastic toy, instead of a pair of leather shoes, I have no idea.

This weekend was exhausting. Not only does Leif have a real mommy thing going on whereby he cannot detach himself from my leg, but then AB worked all Saturday and then Sunday night. Sunday day? Homework much of the day. So that meant that I fielded the Leifer each day, all weekend.

Friday afternoon I picked Leif up at daycare early since they called saying he was really, really fussy. I got there and they weren't kidding. He was miserable. The cause, a dang cuspid that is taking its own sweet time in popping through. We went home and I pumped him full of Advil and a teething tablets and we played. Saturday morning we got up, made breakfast and dragged AB out of bed to have breakfast with us before we headed off to swimming lessons.

Leif had a good swimming class, then we came home, ate lunch and he went down for a nap. My house was clean and yes, there were plenty of things I could have done. But instead I sat my ass down on the couch and read while watching Wedding Crashers, which was btw, cute. Except I cannot stand Owen Wilson. Vince Vaughn made up for that poor casting job though.

Saturday night we ordered Mexican and AB ended up going to watch at hockey game with "the guys". I really am lucky (I suppose) my husband rarely, if ever, goes out galavanting with "the guys". Well mainly because he only has one "guy"... but they rarely galavant without the wives and children in tow. Oh and organizers they are not... V and I organize stuff and they galavant along with us (when we let them). Anyways, the last time AB went out in the evening with his guy friend was 19 months ago to go see Spidey at the theater. This was after eating out with V and I in our very pregnant, "freak the wait staff out" stage. There was NO way I could sit in the theater for the movie that AB was dying to see, so they guys went and saw it.

AB came home and told me about what a great time he had. We need to go to a hockey game and take Leif he tells me, and then follows up with "only one kid got hit with a puck". Umm what? Well and there were a few brawls... (Take my son where exactly? I am sure he didn't mean the hockey game.)

Sunday AB got up with Leif at 5:40am and I paid for it. I slept in until Leif came flying into the bedroom at 7:30am squealing "fishies" and waving yet another sheet of fishy stickers (the Alaskan salmon ads...). The most effective ad campaign ever I am convinced because the dang ad is always being waved in my face. AB was a grump and kept talking about heading back to bed, as he does every morning I *get* to sleep in. One morning out of 7 to sleep in and it is apparently too much to ask to get up and have a smiling family waiting. I have come to a very real conclusion about all of this. I don't mind getting up and spending time with Leif, I get too little time with him each week as is. I do like sleeping in, but 2 hours of sleep is NOT worth dealing with a grumpy ass husband who would rather just stew about being awake with his son and who heads back to bed once I get up. The two hours of sleep is a small price to pay in my life to have a happy Sunday morning with my whole family. So alas, this past Sunday was my last day of sleeping in until Leif decides that he will sleep in.

Ok, getting off my whiney horse now. We went to Bed Bath and Beyond where I bought a new pillow. I know, I know I swore that Target $2.99 pillows were the way to go. I was wrong. Both of the pillows I had, while comfy for a month or so soon exhibited their weaknesses... big old divets. I gave up and plunked down $40 each for two pillows for AB and I. (And had a heavenly nights sleep last night.)

I made sushi last night, spicy tuna and California rolls. Yum. Then we started watching The Island with Ewan MacGregor. Yum. Oh and Scarlett Johannson too. (Love her, especially since she dissed Tom Cruise.) It was a rather good movie, very Brave New World-ish. We still have to finish it.

Anyways, that was my weekend. Now here I go to make my husband an appointment for a massage on Wednesday in hopes that will pull him out of "the end of the month sucks at work" phase.

No comments: