Wednesday, January 18, 2006

A Red Shirt

I own one.

I bought one on clearance online last week, it arrived and I wore it today. This is my first ever red shirt. As a redhead, I have always had a fear of wearing red, orange and yellow. This is probably brought on more by always being told as a kid that if I wore red, my hair would look orange (MAJOR fear), I couldn't wear orange because my hair would look funky and yellow, just isn't my color. I really am working to not pigeonhole Leif like that either. Not that a little boy would be sensitive to what color looks best on him, but you never know. I probably overcompensate in that area because if you look in his drawers you would find lots and lots of orange (and blue, and green). Ok, you would just find lots of clothes.


This Christmas I noticed that a lot of my friends sported red tops and how nice they look. I wanted something festive too. (16 year old self kicking and screaming inside) I actually am very aware of what colors compliment me and which don't (yellow). But darn it, I liked the red shirt and well it was on clearance. Need I say more. I have to admit that today I actually feel like I stand out like a sore thumb though. Not because it might make my hair look orange, but because red is very eyecatching. I feel so bright! My other clothing options are really quite monochromatic.

--------------------------------

I got a phone call during teleconference today. One of those where you check to see who it is from, see daycare listed and get up and excuse yourself. Turns out the biting is still going on. Today, the face. He was bitten on.the.face.

I just don't know what to do. His teachers assured me that they are watching him extra closely, but invariably they turn their backs and he gets bitten. I am tired of this. But I also know enough to know that the only real answer is to keep him home. And I really do love his daycare now and my staying home with him just isn't an option. Neither is it an option for AB.

Last night I tried talking to Leif about it. One of his teachers last night commented that he is nearing conversation stage. She can ask him non yes or no questions and he will think and try to answer. (If you ask a yes/no question, the answer is always no... my child is a typical toddler.) For example, "Leif who is picking you up tonight?" Leif stops and thinks and replies with a nod of the head, "mama". (Secret joy that he CAN say and use mama in the proper context!)

So I asked him, using words and the few signs I know, if his arm hurt where the skin was broken. He replied touching the spot, "owee". Being the curious mom, I asked him who gave him the owee? The answer was "sa". If that is what he calls the child it narrows it down to about 1/3 of the class... Soren, Sebastian, Teresa, or Tessa sprang to mind. But I am probably reading too much into the answer. Either way this biting is making me a little ill right now. I want his regular teacher back, now.

Oh and Leif cracks me up when I go pick him up now. He sees me, no "hi mama" or kiss hello. Nope, he sees me and makes a full on break for his locker to get his coat, gloves and hat on. I hope he is still enjoying school...

-----------------------------

AB had class last night. He ran into his former boss, the one that made his life miserable for nearly 2 years. He actually stopped and they talked civily. AB wasn't sure he would ever be able to look the guy in the face without popping him one should they ever meet. Sure enough he has enrolled in the same program as AB, 2 years behind him and AB will see him every Tuesday and Thursday likely. The former boss had a baby girl 10 days ago, their first.

What is it about someone telling you they just had their first child and all of a sudden all feelings of animosity soften. All of a sudden, my questions like "so what did the jackass have to say about..." turn to "a boy or girl? Name? How did Lori's labor go?" I suppose membership into the club brings with it a free pass to start new with people wronged. AB says it isn't completely water under the bridge now, but I saw him softening.

No comments: