Monday, January 09, 2006

Monday already

Oh how sad, to have a weekend that is only 2 days long. Blah.

We had a nice weekend. Saturday was swimming with Leif. AB went in the pool with him and Leif was NOT happy about that swimming at all. He showed his dissatisfaction in his face too, big sad frowns. AB eased him into the class and they had a somewhat okay experience. C had a blast and her smiles indicated it. After leaving AB told me how much he disliked the teacher. I don't know that he had been in the pool with her before, but he was raging when we left. Evidently she thought AB should push Leif to be on his back when he clearly didn't want to be on his back. Yes, let's just traumatize the child even more. He was particularly irritated that she was so into getting the baby used to placement of their bodies in the water... hello, let's just get them used to the water to start.

Saturday night we went out to eat at a nice local restaurant while the neighbor girl babysat Leif. Leif survived and so did we. My initial experience with the babysitter was not a fluke. Everything (Leif's dishes, the high chair mess, her dishes, her pop cans) was left out and untouched. This bugs me. I know she isn't hired to clean, but simply picking up after oneself at least would be nice. It still isn't a deal breaker, I do like her and she likes Leif. I will survive.

Sunday was my birthday. AB let me sleep in, then he made swedies and we took Leif and Winny to the river and then to the playground of dreams. Leif LOVED the tot lot and the fact that he could go up the slide steps and down by himself, about 32 times. I, otoh, didn't appreciate this new found independence nearly as much as Leif did. My baby is growing up. :-(

Leif had a good nap on Sunday. I worked on finishing my book club book (one more day to finish). Then AB cooked a rotisserie chicken. Our weird child really, really does not like potatoes. I cannot figure this one out, even tater tots. Mashed potatoes and gravy elicited a major "this is nasty" response. After dinner Leif (who now has the hang of presents) helped me open my gift...

XM radio!! Wahhoo! I am really, really excited about this. In fact, I spent about 30 minutes last night installing it in my car while Desperate Housewives was on pause (love Tivo). The 30 minutes of installation was really in realizing I was missing a vital mounting piece and then locating the mounting piece (placed in the glove box of all places). It was super easy to install otherwise.

I am just so stoked on this. I have always been a big music fan. AB is a TV guy, I am a music girl. One thing that absolutely KILLED me in moving here was the lack of radio stations. I remember driving to work after we just moved here in April 2002 and hearing a "new" artist, Jack Johnson. I had owned that particular cd for a year at that point. New my ass. In order to stay somewhat up on new music I resorted to online streaming of kfog at work while working at my desk.

There is a serious radio problem in this area. Maybe it is a consequence of being fairly rural, I don't know what it is, but why do radio trends move like molasses when every other technology moves at light speed? Seriously, I have heard "Pour Some Sugar on Me" 100 more times in the last 3.5 years than I did when I was in 9th grade and it was popular. And there is just no reason Back in Black should be treated like the gospel, really no reason at all. And popular stations are STILL running "80's Lunch Hour" or "The 80's Drive Home". Can we say passe? Ok, just plain OLD.

I used to love "To Rye Ay" and "Melt With You", Billy Squier, Flock of Seagulls and *gasp* Loverboy. I still like Prince on occasion (yes, I will admit to it). But not.all.the.freakin.time. New music... it is out there, but it might take effort for a radio station to find. You know, they may have to deviate from soda pop and 80's crud. Oh and when exactly did U2 become "classic rock"? (Oh yeah... I just turned 34... *sob*.)

No longer will I be forced to live with the local radio stations. May I never again hear "Pour Some Sugar on Me". See you later crappy morning shows that *think* they are oh so funny, and deejay dorks who talk fast in an attempt to pretend they are the coolest rockers around (whose wife is an anchor woman on the bad TV news channel with likely the same mullet she had in 1988). I opted not for just the pay per month, no I prepaid for years of XM radio this morning all without having experienced it in my own vehicle so far. It has GOT to be better than what is out here (and bonus - commercial free)!

THANKS AB for the most wonderful Birthday present!!

No comments: