Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A new aspect of project management

Today my client e-mailed me about her upcoming trip to our site. She told me that she has hit a minor bump in that school doesn't start for another two weeks, her husband has to work and wondered if it was possible for her to bring her 8 year old daughter to our site for her meetings.


Immediately my admin and I started scrambling to find a solution. We are still working the situation whether it be moving the meeting offsite, moving the meeting to a public room if one is available, getting her a babysitter or her using our onsite daycare, which I found out is $8 an hour and they would be thrilled to have her even though school will have already started here... she could "help" in the preschooler room during the school hours until the school age children return.


To me it was a no brainer, let's figure out how to make this work for her.


Later I thought about what it took for her to bring this up.


For me, this would have been something I would have stressed about and then worried about bringing up to the people I was visiting. I mentioned to my coworker that I was happy the client felt she could bring this up to me.


I hope that the solutions I presented to her are well thought through from another mom's point of view. I fully understand that she may have to cancel based off this situation. In which case, we will go about business as usual on those days and will reschedule when convenient to her family schedule.


My coworker said "it is amazing what we will do for a few million".


Nope, it's what I would do for another mom.

No comments: