Thursday, April 27, 2006

My stint as a SAHM

Ok, so maybe just over a day and a half doesn't really qualify. We still aren't sure if what Leif has are chicken pox. But he is home another day just to be sure. He still has one actual pock looking thing on his thigh, yesterday it kind of blistered, today the blister is gone and it is red. The spots on the back of his neck are mostly gone. No more red, but almost like itty bitty scabs where the spots were. Then there was the mild fever and chest congestion (now gone).

My assessment is that it was/is a very mild case of chicken pox thanks to the vaccine kicking in and not making it any worse. Two other children in his class are out with chicken pox, one who was immunized. I spoke with his teacher today and she agreed that if nothing pops up today he can come back tomorrow. I have mixed feelings about that since we are really having a great day today.

It is 78F, sunny, no winds. Plain gorgeous day. Leif is feeling quite well and so we took the dog for a walk. Then we came back and sanded some boards from an IKEA kit to paint this afternoon and put together for a shelf/table in the utility room. Leif was so happy to "howp mommy". We watched Sesame Street - and his interest there is growing. When Elmo comes on though it is still all about the fish.

Leif had lunch and then here's where I am a sucky SAHM. I plopped him in the car for a quick drive around the neighborhood to fall asleep. Naps are a huge struggle in this house. Bedtime not amazingly. I wasn't feeling like the struggle (as usual) and so we went for a drive. Got back and would you believe he needed a diaper change before going into the crib? Figures.

Sometimes I shock even myself though, I was able to change a very poopy diaper without waking Leif out of his slumber. Now I expect a full 2.5 hours to do stuff around the house. First on the agenda is to work on the guest room. Take the old computer down now that I have transferred files off of it. Pull out all the stuff to go to Goodwill and put it in my car - or in the garage on AB's side so that he understands the importance of getting it there. And then rearranging the room a little.

My mom and stepdad arrive in just under 2 weeks and I want the guest room looking nice. I bought a new comforter and cover from IKEA for that room and am anxious to get it looking nice.

Work? Not even thinking about it today! (Oh except to e-mail my group's admins "thank you for everything you do and sorry I didn't acknowledge your contribution yesterday" notes.)

No comments: