Thursday, April 06, 2006

Jipped on my catch up week

This week was supposed to be my catch up week. I would estimate that 1/3 of the people in my area are taking the week off for Spring Break with their kids. Another good portion of people are at a conference in Hawaii. That leaves, in my estimate, less than half of us here actually working.

Even though I work a lot by myself now and have my own tasks, I was looking forward to this week of quietness. What happened? It is now Thursday and my schedule is as busy as any other week.

I did have today and tomorrow completely open to work on my proposal and finish up a few other things. That is until 4:30pm last night when I came back to my office after a meeting to a panicked phone call from one of my project managers about the data that a post-doc collected for us and e-mailed out. It sucked. This post-doc was hired for his expertise in Auger Electron Spectroscopy so that I didn't have to sit down and run the instrument and charge my exorbant charge out rate (about 2.5 times that of a post-doc). Of course the "logical" conclusion from my PM is for he and I to go down and once again sit with the post-doc for 2 hours today to collect data with him. He will run the instrument, I will direct him to how the data needs to be collected for good resolution and then the PM sits and watches and asks stupid questions because he has no experience with Auger. (Which was why I was brought on as a task lead.) So instead of the project being charged about $120 for 2 hours of post-doc time, it will be charged $640 for the three of us.

*Sigh* You might think this is my fault for not having a closer reign on this post-doc. I was starting to think that too. But after a meeting with his manager and being assured that I needed to just let him take the data, and reviewing the e-mail where I stated exactly what our needs were, I am no longer convinced it is me and I don't believe the PM believes that either. At least I hope not.

--------------------------

AB has an exam tonight and so he took the day off to study. Send good smart vibes his way. Leif is being his same silly self. This morning he and AB were wrestling on the couch and doing "This little piggy". Leif squeals and squirms away, but as soon as you stop he squeals "more" and sticks his feet up.

AB was also flying his finger in to tickle Leif's chest and saying "zzzzz". He loves that. Shortly after I was putting him in the car and he was taking his finger and saying "zzzz" flying it around. Silly me, I thought he was going to "zzzz" my chest. Nope... when I didn't take that as the cue that I was supposed to do it to him, he was none too pleased with me! Oops. What an assumption I made! I got a few "zzzz's" in and then we headed to work/daycare.

At daycare Leif has figured out how to open the door and this freaks me out. Yesterday twice he opened the door and wandered out. This morning he opened it to follow me out after I said bye. Yes, there are three teachers and they should see this and most of the time he is likely to just go to the train table to play or the kindergarten room to see the fish. Yet I can't help but be paranoid that he will open the door, no one will see him, he will wander down the hall, make the turn and down another hall and out the door. Extreme paranoia I am sure.

No comments: