Thursday, April 20, 2006

My house was built on a sacred robin burial ground

Well that's the only thing I can figure out.

Two years ago over Easter, robin(s) started going psycho around my house. I remember it was Easter because my MIL was here. (She can vouch for every word of this.) One or more robins, started charging our windows. Repeatedly. This isn't just "a bird flew into my window today". No, one bird flying into the window 50 times in an hour, for a few hours a day, for months at a time is more like it.

The windows would alternate, north side of the house, the big picture frame windows were the most common targets. But the small east side of the house, decorative windows were too. It was loud, obnoxious and very messy, because apparently everytime the robin would hit the house, it would crap all over the brick below the window as well. I don't know when the dang bird found time to eat since it was flying into our window the entire time. But it did.

Amazingly the bird (or birds) never knocked themselves out. It never starved to death. And it never realized that it was not, under any circumstance, coming in our house.

Did I mention I loathe birds? Up in the sky, flying, far from me? Fine. In a house, in a cage, or near me? Hate them. I was chased by a hummingbird as a little girl. I was watching the hummingbirds at my grandparents house and I had on my flowered sundress. My grandpa told me to go outside and get a better look, so out I went. The hummingbird evidently thought I looked tastey and chased me. I was horribly traumatized and finally got inside to my grandfather rolling on the floor (nearly) laughing. My grandpa didn't laugh, pretty much ever. So this being one of the few times I ever remember him laughing seems especially ironic considering it was also when, I believe, my fear of birds started. It continued later on when we had birds fly down our chimney and into our house. (Oh no, it wasn't *me* that opened the door to the fireplace to see what was making all the racket...) And then there were the evil kids who I babysat that let their parakeet out of the cage and would fly at my head. Evil.

So robins and windows and my house... 2 years ago we did everything. We bought plastic owls and put them near the windows. We hung up flashing, aluminum foil on each window. Finally, in desparation my MIL took duct tape and taped black plastic over the windows. That worked. My neighbors thought we were completely psycho, but it worked. AB about this time also decided to pre-empt the whole "those psycho neighbors next door don't want anyone seeing in their house" went to our neighbors and asked if they were having problems with robins as well. They weren't, but he then explained what was going on. Now, whether or not they believe us is open for interpretation...

Last year I think we had a few incidences, each one set us on edge... "was this the start?" But it never really did materialize.

However, this year, with Easter came the robins. AB told me that he has heard and seen a few banging. Yesterday I got Leif in the car to come to work, buckled him in, ran in to double check my curling iron, make sure it is off. (OCD jokes? Anyone?) I came back out, Leif was whimpering for some unknown reason, went to get in the car and I'll be damned if I didn't get the crap scared out of me when a robin flew into the garage window. Leif screams, I curse under my breath. And we squeal out of the garage.

I fully expect my son now has a fear of birds as well.

This morning when I was getting ready, directly behind my bathroom mirror (so I could see the whole thing), a robin propelling itself into the window over my tub. Count them... 12 times while I blew my hair dry. My house is apparently Mecca for robins. Those who can get in the house will be saved?!

AB's Father's Day present? A BB gun.

No comments: