Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Home for a day, maybe more?

I was in teleconference this morning when daycare called my office. They immediately called AB next, instead of my cell, which is fine. Chicken pox.

The kids in the class were all exposed on 4-19. I thought nothing of it since Leif had the vaccine. Didn't even think anything about it this morning when I was dropping him off and noted the red bumps on his neck. Sure enough, about an hour later someone else noticed the red bumps...

If it weren't that my baby is going to be uncomfortable for the next however many days, I would be thrilled to be home. I have been less than thrilled lately with work - mostly thanks to Monday when one of my tasks was cut. 30% of my time... gone. This year I have made a distinct effort not to overcommit myself. I get too busy and not everything gets done - learned my lesson there. So I commit myself just right and I get this shot at me. Not thrilled. In fact, quite irked. (The downside of being in charge of your own destiny in a big company.)

My good PM offered me a little cushion, as much as he could, and more than he ever had to considering the task that was cut was NOT from his project. He is in another group, another directorate completely. This is so something he does NOT have to do. But he did. He gave me a small task to tackle and some PDM for some other research. He also confirmed that I had a solid concept for an IR&D proposal this summer - because if I do, the money is mine pending committee approval.

Leif fell asleep on the way home - 1.5 hours before naptime. But he is down for the count. Hopefully this doesn't screw up his nighttime sleep. Now to the multitude of things that I can do while he sleeps! (Of course, first and foremost on my list should be working on my proposal that is due Friday (nearly 75% done I think).

Oh and a good thought for C that she doesn't come down with this since she played with Leif last weekend. She and V are hopping on a plane home tomorrow.

No comments: