Saturday, April 29, 2006

In just three days...

The other day I swear Leif was walking under the edge of the BBQ, the shelf with all the ultra-dangerous BBQ tools. (AB is sitting here swearing there is nothing sharp up there... ) The other day he went walking by it and was nearly 2" taller than the shelf. Seriously.

Standing next to me, I notice the difference too. His head is nearly to my hip. It is no longer a stretch to reach up and hold my hand. And those legs... maybe it is his wearing shorts for a few days, but his legs belong to a little kid (bruises and scrapes and all), not a baby.

Not only are there changes in his appearance, but this weekend has shown some maturity in his personality too. Another thing I swear was overnight.

Today Leif accompanied me to the video store where he walked through the entire Z to A (for some reason I start at the end... less people, more available movies). He held my hand and carried a movie for me. We went to the kids section as reward and his first pick (I haven't told AB this yet) was Pinky Pony's Christmas (or something in the like by My Little Pony). I know it is because in addition to a fish fascination, and a mouse fascination, he also has a horse fascination. Maybe I should just call them animal fascinations?

After I convinced him to put back the My Little Pony DVD in exchange for something about a dog... yes, I know, I have probably just scarred my son and he will talk about his mother repressing his inner My Little Pony desire and forcing gender roles from a young age. So shoot me. We were walking down the aisle and Leif then came upon Elmo. The other video was quickly abandoned for Elmo.

Ok, here's what I don't get. Our local Blockbuster has gone to covers that illustrate each movie instead of the generic "Blockbuster" label on each case behind a single illustrated cover. The stupidest move on Blockbuster's part is to NOT have done this with the children's movies.

In my hand, I have the generically labeled Blockbuster Elmo DVD. In Leif's hands he has the Elmo illustrated cover sans DVD. I try to take it from him, showing him there is no movie inside. "ELMO!" Leif cries. Looking at the long line we had to stand through, I let him carry it up to the check out and figured that they can deal with putting the cover back. Otherwise it will be one screaming child in line.

We clear the line and I convince Leif to hand the Elmo cover to the confused check out girl. When she doesn't return it Leif starts crying and screaming, "ELMO, ELMO!". Everyone in line behind us starts giggling and snickering. Leif shoots a horrible glare at the poor girl on our way out while I did my best to convince him that even though it didn't look like it that mommy did have Elmo movie in her purse.

After the video store we did a full shopping trip and Leif was so well behaved. He even stood next to me at the check out. I praised him and praised him while the young bagger raved about how she couldn't believe how big he has gotten, couldn't believe he is turning 2 this summer and tells me she remembers when I was pregnant with him. She ends by telling me she feels so old now. Oh give me a break, you're what? 19? I smile and tell her, "you have no idea". Which made the crotchety (but highly efficient) checker who I love snicker to herself.

I think we have finally turned a corner. My spazzo, run wild child, has mellowed a little. I can hope this isn't just a phase and that he might actually be to a point where we can start venturing out into the public a little more often without my worrying about complete meltdowns and strangers staring at me like I am the worst mother alive that just allows her child to run amuck. (All the while I am more just mortified. Still sorry about the whole ketchup incident last weekend at Red Robin...)

Oh and did I mention that he slept in until 7:10am this morning with only one middle of the night wake up? Of course all week long it was up at 5:45am... but I will take this one with a big smile. Now I am just left contemplating if all week it was growing pains that were waking him up 3 times a night and early in the morning.

No comments: