Thursday, April 13, 2006

I own a tankini!

AB thought I was silly last night to be so excited by a new swimsuit, but I am! Of course I had to explain what a tankini is and how it differs from a regular bathing suit - being a cross between a bikini and a tank suit. A tankini!

Along with my tankini came Leif's new sandals for the summer. He is bound and determined to wear them NOW. When AB asked Leif to go get his shoes this morning, Leif brought his new sandals to him. After that I went and found his regular shoes, the ones that I just bought in January and are nearly in pieces... AB reminded me that we DID just buy him tennis shoes this past weekend and that I can get rid of the ratty old shoes now. *sigh* But those tennis shoes make him look like a little boy! Not my baby! I gave in and put him in the tennis shoes, but did toss the other shoes in the car to take into daycare just in case Leif didn't want to wear his new tennis shoes, or he had trouble walking in them. (Yes, his teacher thought I was nuts when I told her this and handed her the other pair.)

Also arriving in the mail yesterday (all of this was BEFORE I knew how much my teeth were going to cost) was an itty bitty, size 2 pair of toddler Carhartt overalls. Just to prove my son's worthiness of his "Alaska heritage". My inlaws will be so pleased!

Leif has been in a fantastic mood lately. 3 of 4 cuspids through and all is well! He slept until 6:30am this morning. I was awake at 6am and instead of getting my rear out of bed and onto the running trail with the dog I slept. When I woke up at 6:30am I actually felt groggy, like I slept too much. I am kicking myself for not jumping out of bed at 6am and running. Now I have to do it tonight...

Leif's latest fascination is with mice. I am not sure where this has come from. But I will be damned if I am buying a mouse. We have fish. And a dog. And Leif does still love the fish and Winwe. But "mouse" is the new thing.

The kindergarten room has a gerbil we must say bye bye to everyday and Leif really believes he is a mouse. He says "Hi mouse!" and then does his weird little "squeak squeak squeak" to the gerbil as though he is speaking mouse and he will understand. I have quit insisting that Mr. (or Mrs.) Mouse is actually a gerbil.

I bought a boo bunny awhile back for Leif. It is a fuzzy little bunny covering for ice cubes to minimize the chance for frostbite when using ice on an owee. Yesterday Leif slipped while climbing the climber and hit his lip. I pulled it out and he was sold. He put it on his lip, then looked at it, then exclaimed MOUSE! And kissed it. He carried it around most of the evening with him, rubbing it on his cheek, kissing it and calling it mouse. Awww!

(I am rethinking the stuffed soft bunny for the Easter basket... Easter mouse anyone?)

His speech and especially pronounciation are continuing to improve. I think people who don't know toddler or Leif speak might be able to understand some of what he is saying now. I relish each time Leif says "I love you". My mom can distinctly understand it now, even though it is all run together like "iluboo". He is really into Little Einsteins (thanks guys for the recommendation) and loves patting his legs and REALLY loves saying (or I mean screaming) "Blast Off!" And we are loving the educational and music aspects.

Leif also is pointing out flowers a lot. He is sad the daffodils are "going away", but was intrigued by the buds on the lilac bush yesterday. I commented that they smell so good and he was doing his best to get his nose on them to smell. Our cherry trees are covered in blossoms... I will post a picture. Leif was intrigued by them, but I won't let him go near them since the trees literally sound alive with buzzing... loads of bees have discovered the trees! It is a little eery being next to them and hearing the constant hum.

So that is about it for us.

No comments: