Friday, April 14, 2006

Mocha Friday!

A grande nonfat marble mocha machiato makes a great start to any Friday! I am even getting used to going back to the nonfat!

Today Leif has his Easter egg hunt and party at daycare. I am anxious to see how he does with the whole egg hunt thing. Last Friday a note was sent home asking each family to send "6 medium eggs" to school by this past Wednesday. I thought it odd that they requested medium eggs... I never buy medium eggs. Oh well. On Monday I noted on the 1st grade door a note specifying to bring hard boiled eggs. I hadn't even thought about that! I asked Leif's teachers if they wanted me to hardboil the eggs?

Panic on their faces!

"PLASTIC eggs please!" was the resounding chorus! I got a good laugh. I hadn't even considered that they were asking for plastic eggs! One teacher commented about what a disaster it would be to have 15, 1-2 year olds handling eggs, even hard boiled. Yeah, I can see that. We will do hard boiled and color them at home (and now I have 12 medium eggs for this purpose...), but in a daycare setting. Yeah, plastic it should be.

I went in on Tuesday and there was a new sign on the door emphasizing that each family should bring 6 PLASTIC eggs.

------------------------------

I ran last night and it was surprisingly less painful than the past few nights. I am still having some hip joint pain that had prevented me from running much of this last week. We walked instead those night. The pain had mellowed some and so I ran last night. (I did a quick search on the internet and realized I must be old... arthritis, bursitis... )

Leif has a love-hate relationship with the jogging stoller. Last night it was a hate. He cried "no no, me walk" as I plopped him in the stroller, held him down and snapped the straps around him. I felt horribly guilty about this. I already feel as though I spend so little time with him on a daily basis. Why should I take this 30 minutes out of our day, when he hates it so most of the time? Because I need to. I need to do this for me and in the long run, for Leif. I need to be a healthy, in shape mom.

In order for me to really get the most out of my work outs I need to have a goal in mind. Here it is... Bloomsday 2007. 12K or 7.46 miles. This is the same distance as Bay to Breakers and I have done that twice now. The first time with my mom, a marathoner, and we did it in about 1 hour and 15 minutes and finished in the top 1/3. This was a HUGE accomplishment for me, one I never thought possible because I was such a sucky runner growing up. I am still a sucky runner, I am slow, and feel as though I am going to die. But I find it the best exercise for me because I have little time to devote to other forms of exercise that IMO, don't provide as much oomph for the time spent. You know though, I don't care that I am slow. My attitude is that I am a lot faster than those people standing on the sidelines at races!

My goal is to do Bloomsday in under 1 hour and 15 minutes next May. Of course, there is one thing that could put this goal on hold and that is if I end up pregnant again this year, which is also a goal for AB and I. But being that it took just over a year for us to conceive Leif, I can't put everything on hold while I wait for that to happen (when we decide to start seriously pursuing that goal).

Baby steps. First I have to be able to run 1 mile without stopping. (Yes, I am THAT bad.) 1-2 weeks? We will start there. Now that Leif has slept in until 6:30am for the past 3 mornings... bless him... my goal starting Monday is to get my rear out the door at 6am for my morning run, alone with my dog. Which also eliminates the guilt with running with Leif in the stroller every evening. (One thing about it though... his screaming and whining make me run faster...)

----------------------

Happy Easter weekend! We have swimming tomorrow morning then Cate is coming over for a playdate in the afternoon on the climber. We will color hard boiled eggs at some point. I am doing the grocery shopping today over lunch so I don't have to hit the grocery store this weekend. Sunday the plan is to hunt for Easter eggs in the morning, have a honey cinnamon coffeecake for breakfast (courtesy of Moosewood Desserts cookbook). Church where I will reluctantly leave Leif in the church daycare for the service... this is killing me. Yes, he will be just fine. Snacks after church consisting of deviled eggs with crab and veggies. Dinner will be AB's prime rib smoked on the BBQ (yum), roasted asparagus, corn on the cob if I can find some, and a potato gallette. Dessert is chocolate bread pudding - also courtesy of Moosewood Desserts.

And if I don't gain back the couple pounds I have lost by Monday morning another miracle will have happened!

Happy Easter everyone!

No comments: