Friday, March 31, 2006

TGIF!

The past few weeks (read: months) I was indulgent. When ordering my Friday mocha I neglected to say "nonfat please". After recent dissatisfaction with my weight and a realization that parent tot swim lessons start a week from tomorrow, I have put myself back on the lowfat regimen. I really believe in making changes to my life to lead a healthier life and thus, hopefully, lose weight in the process. There is no use (to me) in depriving myself in order to lose weight, because it never fails that I will go back, gain the weight back and be dissatisfied. Changes I can live with is my mantra. I lived with nonfat lattes for years, I can go back. I never realized how creamy a 2% latte can be... I can forget, can't I?

Leif has been such a funny little guy the past few days. He has been absolutely wound up each morning and evidently at school too. The teachers said that all the kids have been, they have spring fever. And spring has sprung here. I am loving it.

Leif is back to being obsessed about the potty chair. I am not sure what to think. I keep reminding myself to simply follow his lead. Next week it will be old hat again and he won't care. Of course, if anyone who has been there done that, has anything to offer, let me know. This past week he has been back to sitting on it and going before bath. (The week before he could have cared less.) Then there are the past two mornings.

Yesterday Leif put a cushion up on the couch. Went and got his potty chair while I was fixing breakfast. He crawled up and put the potty chair on top of the cushion on the couch. Umm no, we don't sit on the potty 3 feet off the ground... I removed him and the potty to the floor. He immediately started pulling at his pajamas and groaning. I pulled his pj's off, he helped pull the diaper off, he sat down and went.

Today we were getting ready to go and I told him to go get a new diaper since I forgot to grab one with his clothes. (I was talking to AB and trying to help him with a program on the computer.) Leif returns with the potty and again starts pulling at his clothes. Again we take off his clothes and diaper, he sits down and goes.

I also have plenty of indicators that he isn't ready. He doesn't get upset with having a wet or poopy diaper and doesn't ask to be changed. Also he has a horrible time getting his rear end on the potty seat without help. If one of us didn't stand there and help him, he would be on the floor 75% of the time. Anyways, I can't help but wonder if we are taking the correct route with this.

--------------------

Another whine... I had one yesterday and while I always try to limit my whining in my blog, I have another today.

We have friends that I work with. I am Co-PI with the wife (same person I whined about yesterday), but this time it is on a personal note. They have an obnoxious little dog and are constantly needing someone to take care of her because she and her husband travel a lot for work. Leif likes Sophie and I also feel that we should help out our friends when they need. They don't really abuse us as dog sitters - they have a neighbor kid that they always attempt to tap first. But when they can't, they come to us. Since they don't have a fenced yard, I don't feel comfortable leaving Winny with them in exchange.

So instead, they have offered babysitting services. I asked the wife to babysit Leif once a month so I can attend book club while AB is in class and she agreed. I told her that I understood that there would be times she was on travel and couldn't.

Yesterday she told me that she didn't want to do this next book club since her husband is going on travel the next morning. I can kind of understand this, they want some time together before he leaves for a few days. However, in the nearly 2 years we have known them, and taken care of Sophie at least a dozen times for sometimes 5 days at a time, she has babysat Leif exactly twice. Once in January for book club and once when I had a client dinner and Leif was about 5 months old.

I am starting to feel used. I never would ask that they pay me to watch Sophie, it is something I do as a favor. But my generosity is starting to feel exhausted in this regard. Am I being selfish?

I really believe in honesty and so I should value the fact that she told me she didn't want to watch Leif (if that was OK with me). I mean, what am I going to say in response? I don't care that you don't want to take care of my child, do it anyways? No way. I don't want someone watching Leif in that circumstance. But I am wishing she would have just said I have another obligation that night and can't do it. I would have never known and I wouldn't be feeling abused and reluctant to help them out by watching their obnoxious yapper dog.

----------------------

So anyways, on a better note. I just got off the wackiest phone call. This woman with Boeing has been calling me and trying to purchase a piece of equipment for a few days now. She keeps getting my voicemail and so since I had no freaking idea what she was talking about I never returned her call.

She caught me this morning and started talking to me about confirming a purchase. But I don't SELL anything! We are both convinced the other is nuts. Finally we figure it out... the representative evidently sent her quote with my contact information on it. Neither of us is nuts (presumabley at least), the sales rep is!

----------------------

We have a Costco trip to do tomorrow. I wanted to wait until the 7th when the coupons start, but I need too much stuff now. I was invited by my manager to go on a hike, but I had to decline since AB will be studying for an exam next week. My gluts and my dog could use a 5 mile hike up a hill, but the timing is just bad unfortunately.

Well everyone have a great weekend.

No comments: