Monday, March 06, 2006

More Leifisms

Last week I unloaded the dishwasher and found the dental floss in there. I am somewhat used to Leif putting odd things in the dishwasher and thought nothing of it. Threw it down the hall towards the bathroom.

The next day, the same thing. Dental floss container in the dishwasher. It wasn't until day three that I started really wondering about why in particular the dental floss. Leif can reach up and grab things off the bathroom counters, but why always the dental floss?

Mystery solved! I use the Cascade gel pack things. Love them, btw. Square shape, bright blue... about the same size as... you guessed it... the bright blue dental floss container. Leif loves to do "dishies". I put the Cascade gel pack in. He closes the flap and then the door and pushes the buttons I tell him to, then we LEAVE the dishwasher. (This has helped a ton with his fascination of it and has resulted in far fewer aborted runs thanks to Leif.) On Friday night I told Leif we were going to do "dishies" and here he came running with the dental floss to put in the soap container! Mystery solved!

--------------------------

Book obsessed. I am happy to say that Leif is obsessed with books. He used to bring one book and if it wasn't the one he wanted would get up mid-sentence of the first page, take it away and find another. Repeat until acceptable book was found. He has been seeking out particular books that he wants to read and will turn over every inch of his bedroom if he wants the Elmo book and it isn't readily apparent. He has also been far more interested in bigger, longer, non-board books. This morning he got most of the way through The Other Dog (which I bought for Winny when I was pregnant and a complete sap. I sobbed reading it to my dog.) before deciding he wanted to read Bumble instead.

We have books in all rooms of the house and Leif has his own personal narration to his favorites. Like for example:

Me: "But never in cold wintertime when belly buttons hide"
Leif: "No no beebo no no"
Me: "No never in cold wintertime when belly buttons hide"
Leif: "No no beebo no no"
Me: "Bye bye Beebo."
Leif: "Bye bye beebo, no no, more" (while he signs "more" indicating we should read it again.)

Ok, so I love it. Especially the seriousness with which he says "no no".

-----------------------

Food. Oy vey. What can I say? Should I question whether or not this is really my child? He does not like food. Even typical toddler foods. Eating is something to be done as fast as possible so he can return to whatever he was doing previously.

Favorite foods? Pears, blueberries, macaroni and cheese and Peeps. (oops, my fault) Oh yes, "daddies" too. AB makes swedies (crepes) from an old family recipe. Leif loves them and calls them "daddies" presumably because it rhymes with swedies and AB makes them. (You don't see the rest of the foods named after ME!)

------------------------

Leif has a close couple of friends at daycare. He and Atticus and Jonathen are buds. They stick together and whenever one of them does something, you can expect the other two to follow. On Friday at daycare Leif and Atticus were sitting together as usual. Atticus picked up his glass of milk and poured it, purposely, down the front of his shirt. Leif, seconds later, reaches and does the exact same thing. The poor teacher had to change both of their clothes before naptime. Leif rarely needs clothing changes at school, so imagine the teachers surprise when his spare clothes are about two sizes too small. I cannot believe he was that tiny when he started there.

There was no fitting him in and so he borrowed the ugliest shirt ever. I suppose that's how they remind us to bring back the borrowed shirts, make them so ugly you don't want them in the drawer.

---------------------

I got recommendations on a place that cuts hair and caters to kids in the area. Monkey Doo's. This research and recommendations all for naught when AB admits that the only reason he harps on Leif's mullet is to give me a hard time. Leif, in fact, does not need his haircut *that* badly. Gurrr. Now why? I obviously didn't get that it was a joke. I thought we were "arguing" about the mullet.

No way, AB tells me. Leif doesn't really need his haircut and I am right, they stylist will just laugh at us if we put Leif through this trauma (because it WILL be a trauma) only to take off a few inches of hair on the back of his head.

Whatever.

No comments: