Thursday, March 06, 2008

Where the wild and weird things are

My house.

To give you an idea of the state of my home... my son sitting at breakfast yesterday told me, "I think it is time the housecleaner came again".

Yeah, me too. She came today, my house is clean again. Weekly housecleaning is my ultimate indulgence and something I am not sure I could ever live without again. I am sure I have completely forgotten how to clean anything myself. Postive actually.

The things that come out of his mouth just keep getting funnier... and weirder. He still has a weird opposition to messes. This is my mom coming through in him. He told me the other day that the table was just too messy. Of course I responded that he could feel free to clean it.

He did.

I am routinely being corrected in my manners lately. Apparently I suck at saying "no thank you". I am working on this. Mostly because I am really tired of hearing, "I don't think that is how we say no is it? You need to be polite mommy and say no thank you."

At my prompting this evening, I got the first picture of a person out of him. We had a conference last week about Leif at school. I complained that he doesn't seem to be learning anything creative, he just wants to do numbers work. I didn't really complain as much as it was an observation that he doesn't do art. And I worried about that. As someone who loved art (and math) I want to see my son create. Turns out he can do it just fine and is on par with his peers his age. I handed him a piece of paper and a pencil tonight and he drew me... ears, two eyes, a nose on my forehead, a smile on my chin, a mess of scribbly hair on my head and two legs protruding from my chin. I am satisfied.

Skadi is just over 2 weeks shy of being a year old. I don't know how this happened. All week she has been a smiley, giggley thing. She chipped a front tooth on Saturday pretty massively. Enough so that when I took her to the dentist on Monday they repaired it. She did amazingly and only squealed when they decided to push the envelope and try to smooth out the repair job. Dental masochism? At least my kids don't mind having dental work... that's something isn't it?

Oh and a last note on the house... the real estate agent called this evening and gave AB some more information. Then added that he was under authority by the seller to offer us the house for $24K less than the listing price. Officially $55K under the appraised value. Wow, it was tempting. We had pretty well written it off, no plans to make an offer though my MIL is anxious to see it when she comes out.

Well I still think it is probably off the block for us. I still love the house, but am just not sure I can take the leap right now. AB is on the fence though is about to tip off based on new information about the owner of the 65 acre county parcel behind it... a conglomeration... whatever that means. Who really knows what it means in the grand scheme of things really. But after having apartments go up behind us once, we won't be making that mistake again.

No comments: