Friday, March 14, 2008

Poof went the house!

So in case you are following along... My MIL arrived today and after she and AB did a Costco trip that packed my husband's Outback to epic proportions then we all met the real estate agent at the house. (My MIL was my Costco mentor - she taught me well and it is always her first stop when visiting.)

She agreed that it is a beautiful house. But here is where I understand why my MIL makes a great living as a real estate agent. She rocks at it. Not only does she know houses, but she knows lots and utilities and "typical" city/county markings and construction.

Things I had glossed over... she pointed to the seams of the carpet and how poorly they were adhered. She pointed out the size of the "kid's rooms". Yep, tiny.

She grilled the agent and came to the conclusion that he knows more than he is sharing about the land behind the house.

She is intuitive that way.

Then she spied the neighboring diagonal shaped lot that wouldn't have an obstructed view if the county land was built on, that would have only one neighbor.

"Well I see why they love the house," she told the agent, "it is a gorgeous house. And there are things that will really work for them in this house. And some things that won't. So thanks so much for the time you have spent thus far. Could you get the information on the two neighboring lots to this one, we might be very interested in those."

See how she seamlessly handled this? This type of thing is not my forte.

And why I am thrilled she was here to help us find clarity.

We have a plan we are going to put forward. One that AB and I haven't been wondering if it was the best thing for us...

Find a lot, buy it. Wait a year and get our finances in better shape while we design our house.

Then build.

I am very happy with this path forward.

No comments: